Runners out in force for inaugural parkrun at Hatfield Forest
- Credit: Archant
The first ever parkrun event at Hatfield Forest on Saturday morning saw more than 180 runners attend.
The free, weekly, 5km timed run series added a 20th National Trust location.
Hatfield Forest joined nearly 600 global events that now regularly see 100,000 participants every week participate either by running or volunteering to support events.
Over half the field of 188 were making their parkrun debut.
Bishop’s Stortford Running Club showed their support for the event with just under a third of the participants being from the club.
The first finisher was Malcolm Muir of Ilford AC with a time of 16:55. Adam Chapman (18:31) and James Sale (18:45), both of Bishop’s Stortford, completed the top three male finishers.
The first female finishers were Fiona Tideswell (21:32), followed by Jade Woodward (24:06) and Eilidh Malcolm (24:18).
- 1 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 2 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
- 3 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 4 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 5 Visit Great Yarmouth for a family staycation
- 6 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 7 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 8 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
- 9 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 10 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
Supporting the runners were a team of 25 volunteers, led by the core team of Chris, Karl, Paul and Sam. The team have been working with the National Trust since August to bring a parkrun event to the forest.
The event has been funded by Active Essex, 1life, Uttlesford District Council, Stansted Airport Community Fund, Bishop’s Stortford Running Club and the participants of the Run for the Run fundraiser, held in January. The event is wholly run by volunteers.
Hatfield Forest parkrun is held every Saturday morning, starting at 9am. Briefings take place from 8.45am for new runners.
Visit www.parkrun.org.uk/hat fieldforest, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/hatfieldforestparkrun or by following @hatforparkrun on Twitter for more information.