Rugby Union: Duo target first international starts
THE talents of two Felsted rugby players have attracted the attention of selectors at two top teams.
Rhys Hartley, 17, has been selected to play for the prestigious Independent Schools Barbarians National XV. Meanwhile, Charlie Kingham, 16, has been selected for the South East of England Rugby U16s.
Hartley was one of 50 youngsters from independent schools across the UK who tried out for the Barbarians in December.
Having won a coveted place in the squad he will play four matches against top teams including the Irish Exiles U18s and the Welsh Crawshays U19s before joining the rest of the Barbarians squad for a four-match tour to Zimbabwe in April.
Kingham will play for the South East of England U16s in a three-day Divisional Festival at Broadstreet RFC, which is a chance for the England selectors to see players with a view to selecting them for England U16s. He stands a very good chance of being selected.
Rugby is a principal sport for boys in the winter months at Felsted, which has a long history of nurturing talented players.
- 1 Olympic gold medallist Beth Shriever switches on Finchingfield's Christmas tree lights
- 2 Bardfield cottage transformed into scrumptious-looking gingerbread house for Christmas
- 3 First Sunday in December marked with Live Nativity in Great Dunmow
- 4 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Braintree investment leads to questions about Witham
- 8 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 9 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 10 Chelmsford: Safety improvements planned at roundabout after Thaxted man dies