Rovers get their revenge on Walden
Stanway Rovers 3 Saffron Walden Town 0 Stanway Rovers gained revenge on Saffron Walden Town for their FA Cup defeat earlier in the campaign last Wednesday by recording a comfortable victory over the Bloods in the Essex Senior Cup at The Hawthorns. Bloods
Stanway Rovers 3
Saffron Walden Town 0
Stanway Rovers gained revenge on Saffron Walden Town for their FA Cup defeat earlier in the campaign last Wednesday by recording a comfortable victory over the Bloods in the Essex Senior Cup at The Hawthorns.
Bloods defeated Rovers in the Preliminary Round at the start of September, but a goal apiece from Stanway's identical twins Ben and Sam Newson, along with a comical Keith Emmerson strike, saw Walden exit this competition in the second round.
You may also want to watch:
Stanway took the lead after 24 minutes. Newson drilling the ball brilliantly across goalkeeper Edward Lewis and into the back of the net.
The hosts added a second two minutes later when Emmerson made his way through a number of players starting around the half-way line and managed to round Lewis, enabling him to rifle into an empty goal from 10 yards.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
The visitors began the second half with a Matthew Danbury side half-volley which dropped onto the roof of the net and they then rattled the woodwork as Paul Stokes' effort rebounded safely into goalkeeper Michael Church's arms.
However, they fell further behind when Sam Newson lobbed Lewis from 25 yards to seal his side's passage into the next round.