Rooney is the main man for Dunmow
- Credit: Archant
Oli Rooney stole the show on Saturday as he made a superb 116 as Dunmow CC secured a 70-run victory away in Ipswich and ES.
Dunmow lost the toss and were asked to bat on a green and slightly damp track.
Josh Down went early for only two, which brought Rooney to the crease.
What followed was simply the best knock of the season.
Rooney built an innings of brilliance scoring 116 not out at more than a run a ball.
You may also want to watch:
Luke Swanston weighed in with a patient 36 while Josh Rix bludgeoned 17 not out at the end.
A healthy score of 186-4 was reached from the 45 overs considering the length of the grass and the state of the wicket.
- 1 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 2 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed
- 3 County councillor: Roads and drains progress being made in the Dunmow area
- 4 Raynes Boxing Club duo delighted to return to amateur competition
- 5 Interest in women and girls cricket rises following anniversary event
- 6 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 7 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 8 Audley End apple festival is this weekend
- 9 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 10 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
Dunmow were confident this would be enough for victory.
Ipswich and ES started their reply well though as they reached 61-1 from 17 overs.
Skipper Luke Swanston brought on Steve Hamlin and Baz Sewell and wickets then began to fall at regular intervals.
Hamlin claimed 6-21 in eight overs and Sewell took 3-32 from seven overs including the prize wicket of big hitter Mark Sproats.
After hitting Sewell for a massive six into the oak tree, Sproats tried the feat a second time only to be bowled much to the delight of every Dunmow player.
Ipswich subsided to 116 all out giving Dunmow victory by 70 runs.
On Saturday Dunmow play host to Ipswich CC.