Rich pickings for Ben in cup replay
Saffron Walden defeated Wootton Blue Cross 6-1 in the replay of the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup last Wednesday. After a disappointing 2-2 draw the previous Saturday at Catons Lane, a Ben Riches hat-trick and goals from Stuart Kingham, Greg St
Saffron Walden defeated Wootton Blue Cross 6-1 in the replay of the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup last Wednesday.
After a disappointing 2-2 draw the previous Saturday at Catons Lane, a
Ben Riches' hat-trick and goals from Stuart Kingham, Greg Strong and Richard Chadwick set up a preliminary round clash away at Ridgeons Premier side Stanway Rovers.
Riches opened the scoring after just three minutes, but Wootton piled the pressure on and equalised after 34 minutes when Khinda's volley flew past the unsighted Pledger.
However, Walden retook the lead before the break when a free-kick by Kevin Vallis was headed on by Peter Flack for Kingham to head home Walden's second.
The visitors dominated the second half with Strong and Chadwick adding to Walden's tally with fine finishes.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 3 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 6 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 7 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 8 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 9 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 10 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
Riches then fired in two late goals to wrap up his hat-trick and Walden's passage into the next round was assured.