Points shared in Takeley against Stansted derby
- Credit: Archant
Takeley and Stansted shared the points at Station Road in their Essex Senior League Premier Division derby clash on Saturday.
The game was just the third of the year for Duncan Easley’s men due to postponements and it was a scrappy affair.
During the season visiting Stansted, managed by Paul Attfield, have made steady progress after a poor start, while Takeley have fallen away after a reasonable opening to the term.
There was little to determine the better of the two sides during their meeting at the weekend.
The Takeley defence was solid and disciplined and Lewis Endacott showed this in the 10th minute when he cleared the ball with an overhead kick to keep the score level.
Takeley struggled with their finishing and chances came and went throughout the first half without a goal to show for all of those opportunities.
The best chance fell to captain Alex Martin in the 21st minute when he brought the ball down under control, but failed to hit the target with a half volley from eight yards.
- 1 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 2 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 3 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 4 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 5 Obituary: Michael Hitchcock was known as 'Mr Bardfield'
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 Dunmow Rovers Youth FC get £1,000 donation for new kits
- 8 Dunmow Rovers Tigers Under 10s celebrate 'fantastic result'
- 9 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 10 High Easter hit Legends with second-half goal blitz
The away side also created a string of chances to score in the first half.
One of their best was Tom Le Masurier’s 25th minute effort which would have seen the visitors take the lead, but Takeley goalkeeper Sam Haywood made the save to deny the visitors.
The Airportmen did break the deadlock when a free-kick on the edge of the box from Dave Ratcliffe was scored a minute before half-time leaving Haywood with no chance of saving it.
The home side got back into the game in the second half when Stansted gave away a penalty for handball.
The spot-kick was taken and scored by Michael Ogboin in the 62nd minute.
Stansted had a few moments in which they dominated the play and possession, but the Takeley defence stayed strong to keep them out.
However, in the 87th minute a free-kick for Stansted was tipped over the crossbar by an alert Haywood.
The match finished level at 1-1 despite all the good scoring chances that both sides created.
Takeley host FC Romania at Station Road on Saturday.