Pictures: Local youth football round up

Dunmow Rhodes Lions U15: Back row from left, Russ Alexander (manager), Sam Duberry, Sam Hockley, Ad

Dunmow Rhodes Lions U15: Back row from left, Russ Alexander (manager), Sam Duberry, Sam Hockley, Adam Griggs, Oscar Turner, Christian Roles, Zak Jagathesan, Liam Demmon, Ted Pearson, George Alexander (assistant manager). Front row, Ben Fisher, Nathaniel Steed, Joey Read, Luke Johnson, Dominic Roles, Luke Turner, Frank Luckin, JP Alexander. - Credit: Archant

Local youth football round up

James Mitchell makes a late save in Flitch Youth Blues U12's cup reply against Baddow Spartak.

James Mitchell makes a late save in Flitch Youth Blues U12's cup reply against Baddow Spartak. - Credit: Archant


Flitch Youth Blues U12.

Flitch Youth Blues U12. - Credit: Archant

Danbury Juniors 3 Dunmow United Pumas 2

The Pumas experienced the agony of being three minutes away from a potential league and cup double with the late concession of a winning goal in the title showdown at Danbury.

The division’s outstanding two sides have been trading blows all season and with Danbury eager to avenge their recent cup final defeat they knew only a victory would secure the crown, with any other result leaving the door open for Dunmow with their superior goal difference.

With little to choose between them, the wet conditions added to the drama, both sides competing for every tackle in a match that ebbed one way then the other.

The home side struck the first telling blow on 10 minutes when a crisp shot from the edge of the area took an unlucky deflection to give Benji Furrer no chance.

Most Read

United struck back with a wonderful equaliser, a flowing move saw Louis Claridge tap home Ben Clarke’s superb cross to send the teams into half time all square and all to play for.

Dunmow’s best period of the game at the start of the second half should have seen them ahead with two clear chances squandered and they were punished when against the run of play Danbury nudged back in front.

With great resilience the Pumas levelled again shortly after, man of the match, Claridge once again finishing calmly after good work from George Coates.

But with the match heading for the draw that would have been enough for Dunmow, they switched off at a set piece three minutes from time and Danbury gleefully snatched the winner and the title with it.


Dunmow United Pythons 3 Uplands Rangers 4

Pythons were disappointed to lose this semi-final, missing out the chance to play a final against their local rivals. They will look back on a pooor first half performance which let them down.

This was a pulsating game, very close right to the final whistle. Uplands made the early pressure, scoring two early goals before Ethan Sandlin pulled one back for Dunmow. Man-of-the-match was goalkeeper Archie Pritchard who made some great saves and timely interceptions. Despite this Dunmow deserved to end up 3-1 down at half time.

A much improved second half display led to Dunmow attacking the Uplands goal consistently, pulling back the deficit with a neat goal from Cameron Wallace. Pythons had a string of corners but were unable to convert any chances, then conceded a breakaway goal.


Great Notley Ravens 6 Dunmow United Vipers 0

Dunmow United Vipers lined up for an away fixture against top of the table Great Notley Ravens, who needed a win to secure the title.

The game started off with the home side pressurising a well organised Vipers defence, who kept their shape and didn’t allow Ravens any clear shooting opportunities.

Thomas Clamp in particular made a number of good tackles down the left hand side. As the half wore on the Vipers started to play the ball out intelligently and apply a sustained period of pressure. A good cross from Mason, under pressure from defenders, led to a flick on from Sam to Ross, who shot just wide. Ravens responded with pushing a number of players forward and had there only clear shot of the half go just wide. The half finished 0-0, with the game finely balanced.

The Ravens started the second half off with the wind behind them, and really started to pressurise the Vipers defence, and take shots from distance. Tom made some great saves, but eventually the pressure told, and after a number of sustained attacks the Ravens took a 4-0 lead.

As they continued to push forward the Vipers started to regain their shape and catch them on the break, with Sam, Manny, Harry, Mason & Ross all making breaks but just not able to find the back of the net. Another long shot from Ravens made it 5-0, and then the vipers won a free kick on the edge of the area. Sam lifted the ball over the wall but the keeper managed to get a hand to the ball and save it. One last long shot from Ravens made it 6-0, and that was how the game finished.

The first half performance proved that the Vipers can compete with the best in the league, and they should look to build upon this for next season. If they can continue to improve there is no reason why they cannot look to achieve a much higher league position next year.

Thomas Clamp received the man-of-the-match award.


Flitch Youth Blues 1 Baddow Spartak Cobras 0 (aet)

Flitch ran out winners in the very close and fiercely competitive replay, but only after extra time had been played once again.

Baddow started the game with a very direct approach, but this time Flitch were well prepared for this with man-of-the-match Cole Layton a rock in central defence, ably assisted by Leon Roelleke and Calum Pinto. Working together they were able to quell the onslaught which allowed Flitch to slowly take control of the game.

Harry Bowley’s sharp pace up front continually caused Baddow problems that forced them to defend deeper to combat the threat. This allowed George Gilbert, Kasib Chowdhury and Jacob Morgan space to boss the midfield.

Despite all the lion’s share of first half possession and a number of shots on target, Flitch were unable to break the deadlock.

The second half was played as a frantic pace with both teams having chances to score, Luke Smith, Ban Mackley and Mason Allington all going close for Flitch, while at the other end sharp defending from Sam Barnes and James Baker was keeping Baddow at bay.

Baddow nearly snatched a late winner in normal time, when last week’s Baddow scorer Louis Colgate broke free and had only the keeper to beat but James Mitchell, in goal for Flitch, timed his dive to perfection and the ball bounced wide of the goal. So for the second week running the game went into two periods of extra time.

Flitch finally broke the deadlock early in the first period. From a Gilbert corner the initial ball was headed away but only as far as Pinto, who slipped the ball back to Gilbert. This time he drove the ball in low and hard and Ben Ward was the fasted player to react, scoring from four yards out.

The second half of extra time was played out with just one clear chance created for either side. Harry Bowley’s screaming effort was well saved and Flitch were able to run out cup winners. This was the first time Baddow Spartak Cobras had failed to score in a match in any completion this season, so it was a job well done by Flitch which saw them take the cup back to Alcotts for the first time.


Maldon & Tiptree 4 Dunmow United Tigers 1

The Tigers’ last game of the season ended in defeat at Maldon on Sunday.

With the wind at their backs in the first half, the home team put Tigers under considerable pressure. They took the lead from a flighted corner which was bundled into the Dunmow net.

The Tigers started the second half well and soon Charlie Bell drove an excellent free kick into the box which Marcus Jones headed home to level the score. Just when the tide seemed to be turning Dunmow were hit with two defensive errors in quick succession, giving the home team a two-goal cushion, before Maldon added a fourth late on.


Dunmow Rhodes Lions 4 Wilvale Rangers 3

Dunmow Rhodes Lions’ ended the unbeaten record of league leaders Wilvale Rangers with an impressive 4-3 victory on Sunday.

Wilvale started well but Rhodes keeper Luke Johnson and his defence held firm. Rhodes then took control, a good finish putting them in front and Oscar Turner firing in a second.

Wilvale pulled a goal back but just before half time Turner ran through the defence and put his shot past the keeper to restored the two-goal advantage.

The visitors fought back in the second half, and scored two goals to draw level.

But, in the final minute, Adam Griggs sent in a corner and man-of-the-match Turner fired home the winner.