Personal bests flow for Dunmow swimming aces
- Credit: Archant
An unprecedented 14 Dunmow Atlantis Swimming Club youngsters competed at the East Region Championships.
They each had to qualify within the tough times demanded by the ASA to reach the event.
The first race, held at Luton Sports Village, saw Abbie Hart, Meghan Maybanks, Gemma Bennett, Louis Spong and Matt McLaughlin all compete in the Youth category (15 years and over).
In the BAGCAT group for 14 years and under, held at Norwich Sportspark, those competing were John Boyle, Josh Smith, Grace Mellor, Rebecca Watt, Chloe Moloney, Samuel Dack, Rose Wilkinson, Sophie Taylor and Emma Sarginson.
Swimming against top contestants from all over the region, the team came away with several long course personal bests and qualified for finals in various events.
You may also want to watch:
Not only that, there were a total of three silver medals for Meghan Maybanks in the 50m backstroke, 50m butterfly and 100m backstroke, a bronze in the 800m freestyle for Chloe Moloney, plus a further medal of each colour won by Gemma Bennett in the Disability MC competition.
Steve Turner, DASC’s head coach, was full of praise for the squad.
- 1 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 4 New cycle network consultation announced
- 5 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 10 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
He said: “It was a fine overall performance by all the swimmers, with many achieving Long Course PB’s at a time when school exam pressure is at it’s highest.
“Very well done to all our swimmers.”
Excitement is now building for DASC as they wait for confirmation of who has gained qualification for the National competition, to be held next month.
Visit www.dunmowatlantis.co.uk for more information about the club.