Personal bests flow for Dunmow swimming aces
- Credit: Archant
An unprecedented 14 Dunmow Atlantis Swimming Club youngsters competed at the East Region Championships.
They each had to qualify within the tough times demanded by the ASA to reach the event.
The first race, held at Luton Sports Village, saw Abbie Hart, Meghan Maybanks, Gemma Bennett, Louis Spong and Matt McLaughlin all compete in the Youth category (15 years and over).
In the BAGCAT group for 14 years and under, held at Norwich Sportspark, those competing were John Boyle, Josh Smith, Grace Mellor, Rebecca Watt, Chloe Moloney, Samuel Dack, Rose Wilkinson, Sophie Taylor and Emma Sarginson.
Swimming against top contestants from all over the region, the team came away with several long course personal bests and qualified for finals in various events.
You may also want to watch:
Not only that, there were a total of three silver medals for Meghan Maybanks in the 50m backstroke, 50m butterfly and 100m backstroke, a bronze in the 800m freestyle for Chloe Moloney, plus a further medal of each colour won by Gemma Bennett in the Disability MC competition.
Steve Turner, DASC’s head coach, was full of praise for the squad.
- 1 WATCH: Thaxted Morris Men dance together again
- 2 School thanks 'Super Trouper' Carol
- 3 More than 200 people join the search for missing A120 cat, Daisy
- 4 School class in Dunmow wins national award
- 5 Garden restoration project joy after public appeal help
- 6 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 7 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 8 Incredible undefeated season at first time of asking for Dunmow Rovers U7 Tigers
- 9 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 10 In this week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on Thursday August 5
He said: “It was a fine overall performance by all the swimmers, with many achieving Long Course PB’s at a time when school exam pressure is at it’s highest.
“Very well done to all our swimmers.”
Excitement is now building for DASC as they wait for confirmation of who has gained qualification for the National competition, to be held next month.
Visit www.dunmowatlantis.co.uk for more information about the club.