‘Places like Ipswich, I have good memories’... 3x World Champ Pedersen on racing again at Foxhall in 2020...
Three-time world champion Nicki Pedersen has admitted heading back to tracks like Ipswich is something he very much looking forward to as the Dane returns to British Speedway this year.
The 42-year-old has joined Sheffield Tigers in the Premier League in 2020 - the Yorkshire side are set to be the first League visitors to Foxhall on Thursday, April 23.
It is a huge coup for Sheffield and British Speedway in general that a man who rode for 13 years in Britain is back after an eight-year break.
"I've been living in the UK for many years and enjoy the country very much but there came a time it was getting too busy with lots of things going on," Pedersen said.
"But from 2011 to now I always said 'never say never'. Now it's the right time, right moment.
You may also want to watch:
And when asked about returning to tracks he used to ride regularly, Pedersen said.
"It will be nice to go back to other tracks. Places like Swindon and Ipswich. I have good memories from those places. I'm looking forward to going back and putting on a show."
- 1 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 2 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 3 Garden of remembrance opens, part funded by Captain Sir Tom Moore fund
- 4 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 5 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 6 Dunmow sign writer's traditional skills are a hit
- 7 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 8 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 9 Numbers seeking support double - can you help Uttlesford foodbank?
- 10 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
Ipswich Witches owner Chris Louis applauded Sheffield for making the move to sign the top Dane and bring him back into British Speedway.
"I take my hat off to them for splashing out like that," Louis said.
"Nicki isn't the rider he used to be but is still very capable and he will be very good for crowds at Sheffield - and for teams who Sheffield visit."
The new season at Foxhall starts on Thursday, April 2 with a Supporters' Cup clash against King's Lynn.
The Witches begin their 2020 season however, the week before, March 26 at Peterborough - also in Supporters' Cup action.