Parry flies flag for Great Britain
Walden Triathlete Clare Parry stormed home for Great Britain in 13th place at last week s World Duathlon Championship in Gyor in Hungary This was the largest number of competitors from across the world in the history of these championships, 832 athletes f
Walden Triathlete Clare Parry stormed home for Great Britain in 13th place at last week's World Duathlon Championship in Gyor in Hungary
This was the largest number of competitors from across the world in the history of these championships, 832 athletes from 32 nations, and like the weather the competition was very hot.
Clare's race on Saturday was during the hottest part of the day with temperatures in the upper 20s, the course was a challenging 10k run followed by 40k bike topped off with a demanding 5k run.
Competition from the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, Europe was intense and after the first run leg Clare was in 11th position. The bike was extremely challenging with an uneven road surface and many sharp bends and steep climbs, but at the end of the bike section she had managed to move up to 10th position.
You may also want to watch:
The final run and the sapping hot weather started to take its toll, but Clare finished this leg with a storming sprint finish and an overall position of 13th in a time of 2hr 16min.
Clare was also the first GB competitor home in her age group, a remarkable achievement and one of the outstanding performances for Great Britain.
- 1 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 2 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed
- 3 County councillor: Roads and drains progress being made in the Dunmow area
- 4 Raynes Boxing Club duo delighted to return to amateur competition
- 5 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 6 Interest in women and girls cricket rises following anniversary event
- 7 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 8 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 9 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 10 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
On the back of this excellent performance Clare has already been asked to represent Great Britain at duathlon at both the summer European Championships and the World Long Course championships in October.