Parry flies flag for Great Britain
Walden Triathlete Clare Parry stormed home for Great Britain in 13th place at last week s World Duathlon Championship in Gyor in Hungary This was the largest number of competitors from across the world in the history of these championships, 832 athletes f
Walden Triathlete Clare Parry stormed home for Great Britain in 13th place at last week's World Duathlon Championship in Gyor in Hungary
This was the largest number of competitors from across the world in the history of these championships, 832 athletes from 32 nations, and like the weather the competition was very hot.
Clare's race on Saturday was during the hottest part of the day with temperatures in the upper 20s, the course was a challenging 10k run followed by 40k bike topped off with a demanding 5k run.
Competition from the USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, Europe was intense and after the first run leg Clare was in 11th position. The bike was extremely challenging with an uneven road surface and many sharp bends and steep climbs, but at the end of the bike section she had managed to move up to 10th position.
You may also want to watch:
The final run and the sapping hot weather started to take its toll, but Clare finished this leg with a storming sprint finish and an overall position of 13th in a time of 2hr 16min.
Clare was also the first GB competitor home in her age group, a remarkable achievement and one of the outstanding performances for Great Britain.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 3 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 4 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 5 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 6 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 7 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 8 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 New cycle network consultation announced
On the back of this excellent performance Clare has already been asked to represent Great Britain at duathlon at both the summer European Championships and the World Long Course championships in October.