Opinion split over league division plan
ONE division or two? The hottest potato on the Ridley League menu will be served up again at next week s annual meeting, and is sure to provoke the night s biggest debate. There s almost equal support for the present system – geographical sections, with o
ONE division or two? The hottest potato on the Ridley League menu will be served up again at next week's annual meeting, and is sure to provoke the night's biggest debate.
There's almost equal support for the present system - geographical sections, with only the cups played across the board - and for one all-in league, where the increased travelling is offset by the chance to compete against all other clubs on a weekly basis.
League secretary John Morris explained: "There's something to be said for both points of view. The travel can be daunting - in the past few seasons, our area has extended from Takeley and Thaxted in the north to East Hanningfield and Rettendon in the south.
"But long trips are still the exception and, though Galleywood Eagle proved themselves the number one team last season, I'd imagine they would have had greater satisfaction from showing the whole North Section just how good they are, rather than just turning it on in the play-offs.
You may also want to watch:
"The important fact for all clubs to remember is that, if they have a point of view on the issue, August 14 is the time to make it. That's when the decision will be taken."
Among other items for discussion is a proposal for a Formula 1-style system, awarding combined trophy points down the order, according to position, in the various sub-sections (singles, mixed, women, dominoes).
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
Tuesday's meeting, at the Chequers, Felsted, starts at 8.30pm sharp. All present and prospective member clubs are welcome.