Opening derby day clash for Dunmow at Braintree
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow skipper Paul Reid is hoping his side put a disappointing 2014 campaign behind them as they begin the 2015 Two Counties Cricket Championship Division Two season on Saturday at Braintree.
Reid, in his fifth year as captain, will be looking for his men to be more consistent this term than they were last year when they fell away badly towards the end of the season, finishing just above the relegation places.
“Last year was a bit of a disappointment; we finished third from bottom,” Reid told the Broadcast.
“In the years before that we were steadily making progress with mid-table finishes, but we lost a few players and didn’t really replace them.
“The aim this year will be to get back to where we were, we have brought in a couple of new guys, but the club is always looking for new players.”
You may also want to watch:
A short trip along the A120 to derby rivals Braintree is a tough start for the side from St Edmunds Lane this weekend.
Reid said: “Braintree are a local rival and they did quite well last year.”
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 9 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 10 Join Pam on sponsored 'walkies' for Guide Dogs
Last season’s contests between the two saw a win for each club in two keenly contested matches and both teams appear to have recruited well in the winter.
“We lost our first game last year so it took time to get a win on the board,” added Reid.
“This time will be looking to get the first win quickly to get the season up and running, get in mid-table and go from there.”
Dunmow’s first home game will be on April 25 when they play host to Sudbury (1pm start).
Dunmow’s 2nd XI, who will be skippered by Martin Callingham this year, start their season in the Herts and Essex League Division Three at home to Ilford Catholics 2nds on May 3.