Opening day derby defeat for Dunmow
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Dunmow fell to an opening day derby defeat at Braintree in the Two Counties League Division Two.
It was a chastening first fixture compounded by the fact Dunmow let the home team off the hook during their innings on Saturday.
Winning the toss and bowling looked an excellent decision by Dunmow skipper Paul Reid as opening bowlers Down (3-50) and Hamlin (1-50) claimed regular wickets aided by three excellent catches at slip by Luke Swanston to leave Braintree reeling at 72-5 at drinks.
Gibson claimed the wicket of Ainslie soon after leaving the hosts 73-6 and staring down the barrel.
However, this brought new Australian recruit Ford to the crease and he and Celiz built a recovery, making 90 and 85 respectively.
You may also want to watch:
Additional hitting at the end of the innings from Hale (29*) led Braintree to a formidable total of 269, which was enhanced through the addition of 12 penalty runs because Dunmow had not bowled their overs quickly enough.
The influencial Ford (4-36), in conjunction with Garner (2-32), ripped through the top order, only Nick Coupe from the top seven making double figures with 30.
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 3 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 4 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change
- 5 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 6 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 7 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 8 Saffron Screen's new Sunday night film season is For All The Brave Women
- 9 New chemotherapy centre at Broomfield Hospital is 'fantastic'
- 10 Essex initiative to support children in hospital reaches milestone
Hamlin (20) and Reid (24) added resistance, putting on 30 for the ninth wicket, but when Ford held a catch at slip, the game was up.
Dunmow were dismissed for 130.
On Saturday Dunmow host Sudbury 2nds at St Edmunds Lane, 1pm start.