Opening day derby defeat for Dunmow
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Dunmow fell to an opening day derby defeat at Braintree in the Two Counties League Division Two.
It was a chastening first fixture compounded by the fact Dunmow let the home team off the hook during their innings on Saturday.
Winning the toss and bowling looked an excellent decision by Dunmow skipper Paul Reid as opening bowlers Down (3-50) and Hamlin (1-50) claimed regular wickets aided by three excellent catches at slip by Luke Swanston to leave Braintree reeling at 72-5 at drinks.
Gibson claimed the wicket of Ainslie soon after leaving the hosts 73-6 and staring down the barrel.
However, this brought new Australian recruit Ford to the crease and he and Celiz built a recovery, making 90 and 85 respectively.
Additional hitting at the end of the innings from Hale (29*) led Braintree to a formidable total of 269, which was enhanced through the addition of 12 penalty runs because Dunmow had not bowled their overs quickly enough.
The influencial Ford (4-36), in conjunction with Garner (2-32), ripped through the top order, only Nick Coupe from the top seven making double figures with 30.
- 1 What I Learnt From My Grandmother in photographs and banners
- 2 Prime Minister's honour for Dunmow duo
- 3 Pictures: The Great Dunmow Summer Solstice Sundown Festival
- 4 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 5 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 6 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 7 School activities and sports in pictures
- 8 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 9 Hot cyclists reach Paris after 3 days of pedalling
- 10 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
Hamlin (20) and Reid (24) added resistance, putting on 30 for the ninth wicket, but when Ford held a catch at slip, the game was up.
Dunmow were dismissed for 130.
On Saturday Dunmow host Sudbury 2nds at St Edmunds Lane, 1pm start.