New England vice captain models himself on Lawrence Dallaglio
FELSTED student Charlie Kingham has been named vice-captain for the England Elite Rugby Under-16s when he joins the squad for their international matches against Italy and Wales in April.
The 16-year-old, from Little Waltham, Essex, plays either number eight or blindside flanker and models himself on England legend Lawrence Dallaglio.
“Dallaglio has shown massive commitment to the game by playing for London Wasps, England and The British and Irish Lions,” he said. “And in retirement he has set up his own charity. I aspire to be as successful as him both on and off the pitch.”
Kingham’s rugby career began at the age of six when he moved to England from Singapore.
He has played for Bishop’s Stortford Rugby Club since he was 12 and is currently captain of the Felsted Under-16 squad, which recently won the Stowe Plate competition.
You may also want to watch:
At Felsted, he is tutored and supported by the school’s director of rugby, ex-Wasps professional Andrew Le Chevalier, and takes part in a regular training programme as well as a list of high-level fixtures.
“My ambition is to be a regular Aviva Premiership player and to play for England
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 4 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 5 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 6 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 7 Felsted announces STEM competition winners
- 8 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 9 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 10 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
and the British and Irish Lions,” he added.
Representing England at Under-16 level is a real achievement for any young rugby player and has proved to be an important first rung on the international ladder for a number of today’s England Elite and England Saxons squad members, including Jonny Wilkinson, Andrew Sheridan and Joe Worsley.
England U16 play Italy U17 at Macclesfield’s Priory Park ground on Wednesday 20 April (kick-off 3pm) and Wales U16 at Fylde’s Woodlands Memorial Ground on Sunday 24 April (kick-off 2.30pm).