National karate titles for Dunmow players
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Kyokushinkai Karate Club had two members crowned national champions at the 2016 British Kyokushinkai National Kata Tournament on Saturday.
Senpai Warren Brown retained his crown in the high grade veteran category after successfully defending the title he won last year and 10-year-old Fynn Clements became the junior green belt category national champion.
In addition, 17-year-old Amber Morris came third in the ladies brown belt category and Chloe Slocombe, aged 10, made it to three finals in three years, which is an excellent achievement and came third in the junior yellow belt category.
Finally, 15-year-old Kayley Morris and Georgia Slocombe, aged 14, made it through to the top eight in the junior brown belt competition.
The club had 15 members in total attend the championships held in Edgbarrow, Berkshire.
Kata is performed as a set sequence of blocks, strikes, kicks and stances and students are scored by five judges on their positions and stances that they adopt in addition to their timing, focus and strength.
The students had been training for three months leading to the tournament, sometimes three times a week.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 3 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 6 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 7 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 8 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 9 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 10 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
Dunmow Kyokushinkai Karate Club will be starting a beginners course on Tuesday, March 22 with the first months training free.
Training is every Tuesday and Thursdays.
Tuesday training times for juniors (aged six-15) is 6-7pm at the Dunmow Leisure Centre and for seniors it is 8-9.30pm at Dance Studio, Dunmow Leisure Centre.
Thursday times for juniors is 6.30-7.30pm and seniors is 7.30-9.30pm both at Foakes Hall, Great Dunmow.
If you are interested in the karate club go to www.dunmowkarate.com or contact Shihan Andrew Turner on 07974 094925.