National karate titles for Dunmow players
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Kyokushinkai Karate Club had two members crowned national champions at the 2016 British Kyokushinkai National Kata Tournament on Saturday.
Senpai Warren Brown retained his crown in the high grade veteran category after successfully defending the title he won last year and 10-year-old Fynn Clements became the junior green belt category national champion.
In addition, 17-year-old Amber Morris came third in the ladies brown belt category and Chloe Slocombe, aged 10, made it to three finals in three years, which is an excellent achievement and came third in the junior yellow belt category.
Finally, 15-year-old Kayley Morris and Georgia Slocombe, aged 14, made it through to the top eight in the junior brown belt competition.
The club had 15 members in total attend the championships held in Edgbarrow, Berkshire.
You may also want to watch:
Kata is performed as a set sequence of blocks, strikes, kicks and stances and students are scored by five judges on their positions and stances that they adopt in addition to their timing, focus and strength.
The students had been training for three months leading to the tournament, sometimes three times a week.
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 3 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 4 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 5 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 6 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 7 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 10 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
Dunmow Kyokushinkai Karate Club will be starting a beginners course on Tuesday, March 22 with the first months training free.
Training is every Tuesday and Thursdays.
Tuesday training times for juniors (aged six-15) is 6-7pm at the Dunmow Leisure Centre and for seniors it is 8-9.30pm at Dance Studio, Dunmow Leisure Centre.
Thursday times for juniors is 6.30-7.30pm and seniors is 7.30-9.30pm both at Foakes Hall, Great Dunmow.
If you are interested in the karate club go to www.dunmowkarate.com or contact Shihan Andrew Turner on 07974 094925.