National karate titles for Dunmow players
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Kyokushinkai Karate Club had two members crowned national champions at the 2016 British Kyokushinkai National Kata Tournament on Saturday.
Senpai Warren Brown retained his crown in the high grade veteran category after successfully defending the title he won last year and 10-year-old Fynn Clements became the junior green belt category national champion.
In addition, 17-year-old Amber Morris came third in the ladies brown belt category and Chloe Slocombe, aged 10, made it to three finals in three years, which is an excellent achievement and came third in the junior yellow belt category.
Finally, 15-year-old Kayley Morris and Georgia Slocombe, aged 14, made it through to the top eight in the junior brown belt competition.
The club had 15 members in total attend the championships held in Edgbarrow, Berkshire.
You may also want to watch:
Kata is performed as a set sequence of blocks, strikes, kicks and stances and students are scored by five judges on their positions and stances that they adopt in addition to their timing, focus and strength.
The students had been training for three months leading to the tournament, sometimes three times a week.
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 3 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 4 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change
- 5 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 6 New chemotherapy centre at Broomfield Hospital is 'fantastic'
- 7 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 8 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 9 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed
- 10 Saffron Screen's new Sunday night film season is For All The Brave Women
Dunmow Kyokushinkai Karate Club will be starting a beginners course on Tuesday, March 22 with the first months training free.
Training is every Tuesday and Thursdays.
Tuesday training times for juniors (aged six-15) is 6-7pm at the Dunmow Leisure Centre and for seniors it is 8-9.30pm at Dance Studio, Dunmow Leisure Centre.
Thursday times for juniors is 6.30-7.30pm and seniors is 7.30-9.30pm both at Foakes Hall, Great Dunmow.
If you are interested in the karate club go to www.dunmowkarate.com or contact Shihan Andrew Turner on 07974 094925.