More international call-ups for Felsted rugby stars
- Credit: Archant
International rugby pedigree at Felsted School is growing.
While two former students are currently in action in the U20 Six Nations Championships, a third has just received a call-up to the England U18 squad.
Old boy Max Malins, of Premiership giants Saracens, scored a try for England U20s on his debut in their 42-7 mauling of Italy on Friday.
Another from the school is Northampton Saints’ Rory Hutchinson who kicked a penalty and a conversion for Scotland U20s, however they fell to an 18-15 loss to Wales on the same day.
Current Felsted upper sixth student Ehren Painter is the latest to receive an international call-up having been selected for the England U18 squad.
You may also want to watch:
Having previously played for teams such as the England Roses U16, England U17 and Northampton Saints U18, Painter is keen to further develop his skills as he attends a series of upcoming England training camps.
He said: “I am delighted and privileged to be given this opportunity.
- 1 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 2 Dunmow sign writer's traditional skills are a hit
- 3 Garden of remembrance opens, part funded by Captain Sir Tom Moore fund
- 4 Numbers seeking support double - can you help Uttlesford foodbank?
- 5 New season joy for the Rodings but Dunmow suffer narrow loss
- 6 Garden to be created as a lasting tribute to Maisie
- 7 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 8 Cambridge's ADC Theatre and Corpus Playroom set to reopen
- 9 New florist shop is open for business
- 10 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
“I am so grateful to my Felsted School coach, Mr Le Chevalier, for getting me to a point where I can be selected to play for England, it is a real honour.
“Felsted has given me nothing but encouragement and support with my rugby, and in all aspects of my life.”
Painter’s ambition is to become a professional rugby player, and if he impresses the coaches he has the opportunity to be selected for upcoming international games against France, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.
Felsted currently holds a partnership with Saracens, which allows pupils to benefit from specialist coaching and expertise, and offers a clear pathway for talented players to join their academies.
Painter’s success echoes that of Malins who was selected for the England U18s in 2014.
He went on to captain his country at that age group and led the team to victory on more than one occasion.