Mahoney shines in murky half marathon
The conditions were atrocious as Nick Mahoney tried to set a new personal best at the Bedford Half Marathon. Given more favourable weather, the Saffron Strider would have undoubtedly achieved his goal, nevertheless his time of 1hr 30min 33sec was still
The conditions were atrocious as Nick Mahoney tried to set a new personal best at the Bedford Half Marathon.
Given more favourable weather, the Saffron Strider would have undoubtedly achieved his goal, nevertheless his time of 1hr 30min 33sec was still very impressive on the hilly, windswept course.
"I couldn't have been be any soggier without having bilge pumps fitted," said Mahoney at the end of the race.
l THE third race of the Cross Country League took place at Bishop's Stortford on Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
In the men's section, Saffron Striders caused a minor upset by snatching third place away from the much larger running club of Harlow. Bishop's Stortford's men won the race, but league leaders Ware Joggers retained top spot.
Chris Dodge continued his fantastic year with another second place and was joined in the top 20 by Stephane Toussenel, Nick Mahoney and Nigel Coates. Danny Collins, Steve White and Robert Woodward completed the scoring with Gavin Long and John Howe doing their best to push the opposition runners further down the order.
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 3 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 4 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 5 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 6 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 7 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 10 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
Bizarrely, Saffron Striders only arrived with one female runner. Janet Bradshaw maintained her 100 per cent record for the season and again continued to show remarkable improvement with an impressive finishing position of 21st.
RESULTS - Men: 2nd Chris Dodge 29m 39sec, 13th Stephane Toussenel 32m 7sec, 15th Nick Mahoney 33m 7sec, 18th Nigel Coates 33m 37sec, 26th Danny Collins 34m 26sec, 43rd Steve White 35m 40sec, 53rd Robert Woodward 37m, 62nd Gavin Long 38m 52sec, 71st John Howe 47m 5sec. Women: 21st Janet Bradshaw 45m 41sec.
l Saffron Striders now boast record membership numbers covering with all ages and abilities. Further information is available at www.saffronstriders.org.uk or by calling Robert Woodward on 01223 836017.