League title and promotion for Dunmow Atlantis
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Atlantis will compete in National Arena League London Division One in 2017 having secured promotion at the end of last year.
Having taken top spot in the first two rounds, Dunmow came up against stiff competition in the form of Braintree, Putteridge, Bexley, Hackney, Aylesbury and Broomfield Park in the third round.
With much to prove, it was down to business and Dunmow had to up their game, especially in the closely fought relay events.
A third of the way through the tense competition Dunmow led on 95 points, just ahead of Aylesbury and Bexley.
Despite illnesses and broken goggles, Dunmow dug deep, knowing they had all to play for.
You may also want to watch:
Spurred on by their energetic supporters in the crowd, the squad edged their way through the events, neck and neck with their adversaries.
After 34 races, Dunmow learnt they were trailing Aylesbury, albeit by one point.
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 4 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 5 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 9 New cycle network consultation announced
- 10 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
With it all to play for, the swimmers refused to let go with victory at their fingertips.
It was nerve-wracking right until the final touch in last two events - the open freestyle relays - and Dunmow had a nail-biting few moments while the points were tallied up.
Their grit, determination and superb team spirit saw them take top spot with 250 points.
The icing on the cake was being crowned overall winners of Division Two with promotion secured to Division One for 2017.
Visit www.dunmowatlantis.co.uk for more information on the club.