League title and promotion for Dunmow Atlantis
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Atlantis will compete in National Arena League London Division One in 2017 having secured promotion at the end of last year.
Having taken top spot in the first two rounds, Dunmow came up against stiff competition in the form of Braintree, Putteridge, Bexley, Hackney, Aylesbury and Broomfield Park in the third round.
With much to prove, it was down to business and Dunmow had to up their game, especially in the closely fought relay events.
A third of the way through the tense competition Dunmow led on 95 points, just ahead of Aylesbury and Bexley.
Despite illnesses and broken goggles, Dunmow dug deep, knowing they had all to play for.
Spurred on by their energetic supporters in the crowd, the squad edged their way through the events, neck and neck with their adversaries.
After 34 races, Dunmow learnt they were trailing Aylesbury, albeit by one point.
- 1 Bid launched for 120 new homes in Great Dunmow
- 2 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 3 Who are the runners and riders to replace Boris Johnson as PM?
- 4 Great Dunmow Primary pupil donates hair to children with cancer
- 5 New crematorium opens in Dunmow
- 6 Tributes paid to 'much respected' Great Dunmow Town Band leader Andy King
- 7 Boris Johnson quits as prime minister but vows to stay until October
- 8 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 9 Boris Johnson will resign as Tory leader today
- 10 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
With it all to play for, the swimmers refused to let go with victory at their fingertips.
It was nerve-wracking right until the final touch in last two events - the open freestyle relays - and Dunmow had a nail-biting few moments while the points were tallied up.
Their grit, determination and superb team spirit saw them take top spot with 250 points.
The icing on the cake was being crowned overall winners of Division Two with promotion secured to Division One for 2017.
Visit www.dunmowatlantis.co.uk for more information on the club.