Leaders slip as hunt for Ridley League title hots up
- Credit: Archant
Those nerve bugs are biting as the Ridley League season enters its home straight.
Leaders Black Bull, beaten for the second week running, still face severe tests at Mill Green Cricketers and home to champions Dog & Partridge.
Martin Compton’s 12-dart leg (100, 180, 100, 121) inspired Compasses to a singles clean sweep at Margaretting, and the visitors also took the dominoes points in a 9-6 win.
Chequers rookie Ryan Dodd, just 13-years-old, claimed his best scalp yet, beating CCFC’s Allan Sheldrake with the help of an opening leg which included a 180 and 140.
City never recovered, skipper Steve Richardson’s maximum being of no more than personal value as the visitors closed to within three points of top spot.
The Dog’s hopes were just about snuffed out in defeat by Little Waltham SC which leaves the champs 16 points adrift with two matches to go. George Wood fired a 180 and Mick Cain had 10 tons or better, but Waltham were comfortable winners.
There was a 180 for Ernie Holden as Cricketers gave the Bird in Hand’s against column another bashing.
- 1 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 2 What I Learnt From My Grandmother in photographs and banners
- 3 School activities and sports in pictures
- 4 Hot cyclists reach Paris after 3 days of pedalling
- 5 Pictures: The Great Dunmow Summer Solstice Sundown Festival
- 6 Prime Minister's honour for Dunmow duo
- 7 Suspense thriller is author's fourth novel
- 8 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 9 Creamfields South 2023 festival dates announced for Hylands Park
- 10 Solar farm application decision is deferred
Keith Hemsworth’s 2-1 singles win over Margaret Rolfe was the only leg conceded by the visitors, though the Bird showed resilience by earning a dominoes draw after losing the first three games.
Top clubs’ remaining fixtures: Black Bull: Cricketers (a), Dog & P (h). Chequers: Lt Waltham SC (a), Compasses (h). Lt Waltham SC: Chequers (h), Bird in Hand (a). Cricketers: Black Bull (h), CCFC (a).
Results: Bird in Hand 3, Cricketers 12 (singles/pairs 0-7, mixed 0-1, women 0-1, dominoes 3-3); Black Bull 6, Compasses 9 (2-5, 1-0, 1-0, 2-4); CCFC 4, Chequers 11 (2-5, 0-1, 0-1, 2-4); Dog & Partridge 5, Lt Waltham SC 10 (2-5, 0-1, 0-1, 3-3).