Late penalty saves Walden
Romford RFU 20 Saffron Walden 20 Saffron Walden Rugby Club came from behind to earn a share of the spoils at Romford on Saturday. Walden had a nightmare start, conceding two tries in the first six minutes. Missed tackles allowed the hoists to go over unde
Romford RFU 20 Saffron Walden 20
Saffron Walden Rugby Club came from behind to earn a share of the spoils at Romford on Saturday.
Walden had a nightmare start, conceding two tries in the first six minutes. Missed tackles allowed the hoists to go over under the posts after four minutes and from the kick-off Romford got hold of the ball again and went over in the corner to stretch their lead to 12 points.
The visitors didn't let their heads drop and hit back when Andrew Wisbey broke away and forced his way over the line, with Hughes converting to reduce the deficit.
You may also want to watch:
Hughes then kicked a penalty for Walden before breaking the line of defence to go over under the posts, which he converted to put his side into the lead.
Romford came back and crashed over the line out wide to level the scores at half-time.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
Both teams tightened up their defences in the second half and there were few scoring opportunities.
The hosts enjoyed extended periods of possession and took their only points of the half in the 48th minute when Walden were penalised for handling in the ruck.
Walden gradually started to look dangerous and Hughes missed a penalty to level the scores in the 65th minute and Romford's defence held out despite being stretched.
Then a final attack in the last minute of the game saw Hughes convert a penalty 35 metres out and 15 metres in from the touch line to earn his side a share of the spoils.
On Saturday Saffron Walden host local rivals Harlow in the London Three North East, who currently sit three places above Walden in fourth.