Ladies take the points
Saffron Walden Ladies FC 4 Basildon United 3 With confidence high on the back of a convincing victory in the League Cup last weekend, Saffron Walden Ladies took all three points in the league against Basildon on Sunday. Walden started determinedly and A
Saffron Walden Ladies FC 4 Basildon United 3
With confidence high on the back of a convincing victory in the League Cup last weekend, Saffron Walden Ladies took all three points in the league against Basildon on Sunday.
Walden started determinedly and Andi Wright opened the scoring for Walden with a fine strike.
The hosts continued to attack and were rewarded with their second goal. Andi Wright crossed the ball in and a team effort from Amie Jones and Kim Jeffery ensured the ball was headed on and Amanda Potter slotted the ball home.
You may also want to watch:
Walden started the second half well and looked threatening. However a lapse in concentration from the whole team saw Basildon bring the game back to level pegging.
The hosts were jolted back to life and continued to pass the ball around well. They were rewarded with a free-kick just inside the area which Kim Jeffery struck into the back of the net.
- 1 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
- 2 Fond farewell to Sweetland's butchers after 69 years in the trade
- 3 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 4 Wethersfield to house nearly 3,500 prisoners in government plan
- 5 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 6 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 7 Scouts jamboree fun covers radio skills to Morse Code
- 8 Full house success: Great Dunmow's Last Night of the Proms
- 9 Hylands Park's new parking charges will be lowered, says council
- 10 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
Basildon battled on and came level again, before Andi Wright was hauled down in the area, with Vicky McCaffery converting from the spot to secure the victory for Walden.
Harlow Athletic Ladies 5 Saffron Walden Ladies B 0
For the second successive week the Walden Ladies B team lost by a 5-0 deficit to stay rooted at the bottom of the second division table.
Despite showing character and determination the lack of the killer instinct in front of goal was always evident as Walden struggled to create any attacking opportunities.
Defensively Walden will consider themselves unlucky to be on the receiving end of such a harsh scoreline as Debbie Brown and Julia Lockley led the backline well. Debbie Johnson in the Walden goal was busy but assured as she confidently dealt with several goal bound shots until she was finally beaten on the half hour mark when Walden failed to deal with a corner.
Two further goals were added before half-time to leave Walden with an uphill battle.
A switch in formation for the second half seemed to provide Walden with extra options further up the field, but a tame shot from the returning Kylie Smith was the closest that they got to threatening the opposition's goal.
Then two further goals from Harlow ensured that the Walden Ladies had another miserable afternoon and leaves them seeking that illusive first win of the season.