Ladies hold men in charity game
Saffron Walden Ladies 3 Saffron Crocus Men 3 The annual fixture between Saffron Walden Ladies FC and Saffron Crocus men in memory of the late club stalwart Eileen Pledger, ended in a draw, after a comeback from the ladies ensured that honours ended even.
Saffron Walden Ladies 3
Saffron Crocus Men 3
The annual fixture between Saffron Walden Ladies FC and Saffron Crocus men in memory of the late club stalwart Eileen Pledger, ended in a draw, after a comeback from the ladies ensured that honours ended even.
Crocus had taken the lead early on as Mike Eldred beat Walden keeper Jackie Frost at the near post with a precise header. The lead was soon doubled as James Burton slipped his marker in the box to score with another headed effort.
Paul Jennings then helped Crocus to a 3-0 lead as he scored with a left foot strike from the edge of the box.
Walden B team manager Colin Long swapped the sidelines for the goal posts as he stood in as the Crocus goalkeeper. However, he was powerless to stop Kim Jeffery from pulling a goal back for the ladies though, as she took advantage of a ricochet from referee Alan Taylor to slot the ball under the keeper.
- 1 Scammer conned North Essex man out of £6,000
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 4 RideLondon: The Uttlesford road closures list
- 5 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Obituary: Michael Hitchcock was known as 'Mr Bardfield'
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Dunmow Rovers Tigers Under 10s celebrate 'fantastic result'
- 10 Dunmow Rovers Youth FC get £1,000 donation for new kits
The second half saw the ladies launch a comeback with Vicky McCaffrey scoring from the edge of the box. Jeffery then equalised when she forced Long into an error to fire her side level.
The game was enjoyed by both sets of players and raised a credible £125 for charity.
- FA Cup football comes to Walden on Sunday, as the ladies take on Garston in the preliminary round with a 2pm kick-off at Catons Lane.