Karate club celebrates 30th year
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Kyokushinkai Karate Club is celebrating its 30th anniversary this month.
To celebrate, the club is holding an event next Saturday (September 26) where money raised will go towards battling Huntingdon’s Disease.
Shihan Andrew Turner, 5th Dan, opened Dunmow Dojo with the help of some students, John and Stuart Izod, Frank Schmiedecke, Debbie Houston, Mandy Bell, John Robinson and a few others in September 1985.
The first training session was held in Foakes Hall, Great Dunmow, and this is a venue where the club continues to train.
On that first night, the club had over 60 people attend and to this day student numbers have not dropped below that number.
You may also want to watch:
There is a great family spirit within the club and in the past the club has held many successful tournaments and fundraising events for various charities like 24-hour training sessions, football matches with Crystal Palace and quiz nights.
Next weekend there will be a tournament at Foakes Hall between 9.30am-5.30pm involving other clubs from around the country.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 9 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases
- 10 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
There will also be entertainment in the evening.
Doors open at 9am and entry is £2.50 for spectators. Food and drink will be available.
Dunmow Kyokushinkai Karate Club train every Tuesday and Thursday.
The club will be starting a beginner’s course next Tuesday (September 22), with the first month’s training free.
If you are interested in finding out more about the club, go online at www.dunmowkarate.com or contact Shihan Andrew Turner on 07974 094925.