Hot-shot 30-goal forward Cole enjoying Takeley role
- Credit: Archant
Free-scoring Takeley striker Charlie Cole is relishing life at Station Road.
The 22-year-old took his tally to a remarkable 30 goals for the season already as he claimed a five-goal haul in the Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy on Wednesday night as his side demolished Haringey & Waltham FC 8-1 to reach the quarter-finals.
Having impressed under manager Marc Das at Sawbridgeworth Town in the first half of last term, Cole moved up a level joining Ryman League Division One North side Thurrock.
However, a lack of game time there left him frustrated and over the summer he linked back up with Das who had moved from Town to manage Takeley.
Working with Das again was key to Cole’s move.
You may also want to watch:
“He played a big part in it,” Cole told the Broadcast.
“He gave me a chance at Sawbo and I’ve never really looked back.
- 1 Plan for 30 Dunmow homes rejected by councillors
- 2 Debut Dunmow festival set for sellout success
- 3 Dunmow store transforms with new wedding and prom focus
- 4 Two injured in Hatfield Broad Oak crash
- 5 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 6 Parkrun is back - runners urged to maintain social distancing
- 7 Four birthday cakes as Florence celebrates her 105th birthday
- 8 Life change of direction for owners of new Felsted cafe
- 9 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 10 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
“As soon as he took over at Takeley we were in contact with each other regarding a move.
“It always interested me as I knew he’d have a good team and he’s a brilliant manager, I think he’s showed that this season with how well we’re doing.
“I’ve really enjoyed it, especially playing with the group of lads we’ve got and playing under Marc and getting regular game time, which is important to me.”
The striker is now leading the Essex Senior League’s scoring charts with 30 goals in 30 games in all competitions, just behind him is James Peagram who has bagged 28 in 28 for leaders Barking.
Cole added: “25 was my target for Christmas so to have reached it I’m massively pleased, but I couldn’t have done it without the lads we have though.”