Hockey: Rogers helps England to winning start
INTERNATIONAL hockey star Chloe Rogers has had a busy few days, helping the England team win their opening two games at the World Cup in Argentina.
The former Helena Romanes School pupil played her part in a 3-2 win over Spain on Sunday and then came off the bench to secure a tight 1-0 victory over China on Tuesday.
Rogers, who plays at club level in Leicester, was instrumental in setting up a valuable equaliser during the Spain fixture which allowed England to press on and achieve victory.
With England 1-0 down good persistence from Rogers saw her rob an opponent midway inside the Spanish half and after playing a one-two with Clifton youngster Charlotte Craddock she squared the ball to Kerry Williams in the middle of the circle.
Williams’ shot was aimed for Danson who connected perfectly, deflecting the ball in front of Rocio Ybarra on the back post to level the score.
You may also want to watch:
England then went ahead only for Spain to equalise straight away, but within minutes England regained the lead and held on to win 3-2.
Tuesday’s game was also a tight affair, the England team scored the only goal of the match inside the first two minutes and hung on to claim maximum points.
- 1 Air ambulance and four land vehicles called to Essex emergency
- 2 In pictures: First ever Summer Solstice Sundown festival a hit
- 3 Two taken to hospital after Little Dunmow collision
- 4 In pictures: Stebbing tractor run 2021
- 5 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Half empty or half full weekend depending on whether you play for Dunmow's firsts or seconds
- 8 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 9 The 2021 Stebbing Tractor Run route
- 10 Debut Dunmow festival set for sellout success
England’s next match is against Korea on Thursday (September 2).