Hockey: Felsted take third place at IAPS national finals
- Credit: Archant
Felsted’s U13 girls’ hockey team travelled to Queenswood School in Hertfordshire last week in search of national glory for the second time in three months.
Back in late November, the team made the trip for the first time, only for the entire tournament to be cancelled due to some particularly dreadful weather.
However, Queenswood decided to re-host the competition, and Felsted got off to a magical start, winning their first game against rivals Haileybury, 2-0. Their early brilliance continued, as they won their next three games 4-0, against Aldenham, City of London and Chigwell respectively.
Unfortunately, the girls could not keep their incredible run going, losing to Hazelgrove and Danes Hill (2-4 and 2-6 respectively). Not to be deterred, the team rallied and won their final game 3-0 against the hosts to secure a top three finish.
Felsted coach Libby Knifton was delighted with their efforts. She said: “The girls put in a fantastic performance against some really good hockey sides, so we were absolutely ecstatic with the result! I was particularly proud of their behaviour and attitude throughout the tournament.”
This is turning out to be another stellar year for Felsted hockey, with a number of national appearances so far for the girls across the age groups. The U11 girls won the Essex competition, as did the U14s, whilst the U18s came second locally. With the boys’ hockey season just kicking off, more success could yet be on the horizon.
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Fight breaks out near Great Notley as man reportedly seen with a gun
- 3 Penalty save and late winner moves High Easter up the table
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 6 Sunday's event for the 100 year anniversary of village hall
- 7 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 8 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 9 'I'm proud of how far I've come' - Dunmow mum shares her weight loss experience
- 10 Pets' Corner news: Winter Walkies for St Clare