Heap’s header earns Barnston a point

Kieron Heap makes it 2-2

Kieron Heap makes it 2-2 - Credit: Archant

Barnston recovered from 2-0 down at half-time to rescue a draw against bottom of the table Earls Colne on Saturday.

Without a permanent manager after the departure of Luke Nash, interim boss Adam Munn took charge of Barnston.

The Essex & Suffolk Border League Premier Division game kicked off with Earls Colne having the bit between their teeth.

Within the first 10 minutes Adam Reid broke through and was left one on one with Eddie Coomber, but the home keeper made a tackle outside his box.

No more than five minutes later Colne split the defence apart again, but the striker was unable to make a decent purchase on the ball and sliced well wide of the mark.

The breakthrough came as Coomber tried to head clear a long high ball, but the ball bounced backwards and the Earls Colne striker ran through to tuck his shot into an empty net.

Barnston were frustrated as they restarted, but a neat move between Troy Hawthorne and Joe Jones caused away keeper Craig Smith to fumble a shot, but he smothered the ball and the follow-up shot from Hawthorne was deflected out for a corner.

Most Read

Earls Colne then broke down the left before switching play to the right. They played a deep ball in towards the striker, but although Coomber claimed the high ball as his own, he was unable to make the catch and dropped the ball at the feet of the striker who slotted it into the open goal to make it 2-0.

The remainder of the first half was frustrating for the home side who were unable to get a decent shot on target.

The second half started brightly as the visitors kicked-off and Barnston pressed the ball well.

Attacking down the hill they tried their hardest to get back into the game.

Barnston worked hard to keep possession and won several corners down the right, but they came to nothing.

Around 65 minutes into the match Barnston were awarded a throw-in deep inside the Colne half.

The ball was thrown to Kevin Spencer who delivered into the box and his cross was met by substitute Mitch Simmons who slid in to convert and make it 2-1.

Barnston were now on the front foot as the pressed hard for an equaliser.

Their break came on 70 minutes when a corner taken by Jake De’ath was turned in with a bullet header by Kieron Heap despite the attempts of the defender on the line.

With the score 2-2, the remainder of the game was played out with Barnston pressing for the winner to complete a stunning comeback.

They came close to winning it when De’ath ran through the defence and shot low and hard across the keeper towards the far post, but the shot was deflected behind as the points were shared.