Hat-trick of title wins in a week for Earl
- Credit: Archant
A teenage amateur golfer from Barnston has had a sensational week by winning three titles in seven days beating a host of professional players on the way.
Rebecca Earl, aged just 15, took top honours in two WPGA One Day Series events (South Herts Golf Club and Three Rivers) and won the Prince of Wales Amateur Challenge Trophy at Woburn.
The England squad member was the only amateur player among a field of 26 professionals in the South Herts WPGA event last Wednesday.
Her round began slowly and she was two-over par after eight holes, before putting together a blistering sequence of five consecutive birdies from the ninth.
She parred the 14th before another birdie on the 15th – and then parred steadily home for 70, finishing three clear of the joint runners-up, Sian Evans and Danielle Anderson.
Earl, the Hertfordshire girls’ champion, says her aim was to: “Have the experience of playing with the pros and see where I was compared to them - and to try and get my handicap cut.
“I’ve got a lot of confidence from it, I know what standard I am and that I can play with some of the best.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 3 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 4 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 7 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 8 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 9 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 10 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
“It was a really good opportunity.”
Just 24 hours after beating the professionals with her lowest-ever score of four-under par, the Felsted School pupil was a winner again.
This time she took the girls’ honours in the Prince of Wales Amateur Challenge Trophy.
Earl, a member of the England Golf Thames Valley U16 squad, played on the Duchess course at Woburn, scoring a two-over 76 and level par to win the U21 girls’ event by a stroke.
On Tuesday, Earl completed a hat-trick of honours by shooting a level par round of 74 to win a WPGA One Day Series event at Three Rivers by a shot in wet and windy conditions.
“I had a good week,” added Earl, who is based at Bishop’s Stortford Golf Club.