Harris and Lewis star at Gosfield Lake Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
The Autumnal Auction at Gosfield Lake Golf Club produced another exciting finish.
The winning card of victorious pair Ivan Harris and Gary Lewis completely blew away the scorecards already in the clubhouse.
This end of season annual event is popular with members because it is a drawn competition that brings together players of varying handicaps with the cumulative stableford score deciding the winners.
When the pairs are drawn a Calcutta-type auction takes place among all the contestants with each of the 40 pairs being assigned to the highest bidder.
In glorious golfing weather the 80 golfers began with a shotgun start.
After four hours the results began appearing on the leader’s sheet of the competitions committee.
Lower handicappers Matt Payne and Ray Brown moved into third place with 74 points on countback edging out Barney De Beer and Paul Drew.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 3 10,000 signatures reached against Essex mega-prison proposal
- 4 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 5 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 6 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 7 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 8 Things to do in Essex this June
- 9 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 10 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
In second place with a combined total of 75 points were Sam Smith and Dave Wormall.
The card that settled the competition with a total of 82 stableford points was handed in by the runaway winners Harris and Lewis.
Club captain Malachy Shields presented the prizes to the winning teams and to the auction owner Harris who coincidentally had the foresight to bid for his team.