Harris and Lewis star at Gosfield Lake Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
The Autumnal Auction at Gosfield Lake Golf Club produced another exciting finish.
The winning card of victorious pair Ivan Harris and Gary Lewis completely blew away the scorecards already in the clubhouse.
This end of season annual event is popular with members because it is a drawn competition that brings together players of varying handicaps with the cumulative stableford score deciding the winners.
When the pairs are drawn a Calcutta-type auction takes place among all the contestants with each of the 40 pairs being assigned to the highest bidder.
In glorious golfing weather the 80 golfers began with a shotgun start.
You may also want to watch:
After four hours the results began appearing on the leader’s sheet of the competitions committee.
Lower handicappers Matt Payne and Ray Brown moved into third place with 74 points on countback edging out Barney De Beer and Paul Drew.
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 3 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 4 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 5 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 6 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 7 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 8 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 9 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 10 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
In second place with a combined total of 75 points were Sam Smith and Dave Wormall.
The card that settled the competition with a total of 82 stableford points was handed in by the runaway winners Harris and Lewis.
Club captain Malachy Shields presented the prizes to the winning teams and to the auction owner Harris who coincidentally had the foresight to bid for his team.