Girls football tournament in Dunmow a huge success
- Credit: Archant
The first girls only football tournament to be held in Dunmow was so successful that another is already being planned for May.
On Saturday girls football took centre stage as Dunmow Rhodes FC, in conjunction with the Essex FA and the Essex County Girls League, hosted their first ever girls football tournament at the recreation ground.
After the five-a-side event, which saw 16 teams from across Essex take part, Rhodes chairman Andrew Askew told the Broadcast: “Dunmow Rhodes are extremely proud to be the first local club to host a girls only tournament.
“As it was such a huge success and we got positive response from all that took part, we are already planning to hold another in late May,
“This shows how girls only football is growing rapidly in the area.”
You may also want to watch:
The event, which was well supported and played in a fantastic spirit, saw all players receive medals for taking part.
This was the first time many of the girls from Rhodes had played in such a big tournament and they were a credit to the club putting in some excellent performances.
- 1 Council agrees to 'complicated' parking charges at Hylands Park
- 2 Rural ramblers efforts for Helen Rollason Cancer Charity
- 3 Universal Credit: Help is still out there, says Essex County Council
- 4 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 5 It's pumpkin picking season again at Cammas Hall Farm as Halloween approaches
- 6 Book exchange opens in Dunmow
- 7 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 8 Tributes paid to PC Tris Baker who died in Roxwell collision
- 9 Conservative MP David Amess dies after being stabbed in Essex constituency
- 10 Hylands Park's new parking charges will be lowered, says council
Michael Richardson, Rhodes head coach and head of MRFA Football Academy, was in attendance and impressed with the high standard of football being played.
Dunmow Rhodes’ head of girls football Sarah Smith was the chief organiser of the event with support from Dave Wildgoose.
Sarah is taking her FA Level Two coaching badges and has been the driving force behind the development of girls only football at Rhodes with well over 30 girls now with the club.
If you think your daughter would be interested in girls football contact Sarah on 07793 325930 for information.