GFDR enjoy Boxing Day trip; Takeley win
- Credit: Archant
Grange Farm and Dunmow Runners members were among a large field of athletes burning off the excesses of Christmas at Witham Running Club’s Boxing Day five-mile road race.
A field of 388 included 10 from GFDR, who set off from Witham Rugby Club and tackled an uphill course into a headwind, before turning downhill towards the finish line.
The race was won by Paul Whittaker of the Road Runners Club in a time of 24 minutes 21 seconds, while Jim Lurkins led the GFDR contingent home in 17th place in 29.03.
Paul McKenna was next home in 31.19, ahead of Kevin Marshall (33.19), while Antony Karas (36.12) pipped Luca Predebon (36.47) and Colin Jackson (37.00).
Charlotte King (39.53) earned female bragging rights over Emily Predebon (40.52) as John Hardy (45.31) and Glenda Jackson (46.05) were also out in force for GFDR.
You may also want to watch:
*Takeley went into Christmas on a high note after beating Stansted in their Essex Senior League derby on Saturday.
The Airportmen took a surprise lead at Station Road as Nick Brown finished off a good move on 33 minutes.
- 1 Lionel the Giant Perch is 'the perfect addition'
- 2 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 3 Takeley virtual consultation opens
- 4 Dunmow tributes to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 5 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
- 6 Lockdown easing: 'Shop abuse will not be tolerated'
- 7 They're record breakers! Self-test attracts worldwide support
- 8 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 9 Online Young Musician competition launched by Dunmow Rotarians
- 10 Doorbell crimes in Thaxted see one ‘ripped off’ before suspect flees
But Takeley were back on terms before the interval thanks to centre-back Matt Gill and were much improved after the restart, taking the lead on 47 minutes.
Manager Marc Das saw his side score twice more in the final 20 minutes to run out 4-1 winners to remain in third place, as Stansted suffered a ninth successive defeat to remain in the bottom four.
Takeley return to action in the new year with a home match against Wadham Lodge on January 6, when Stansted visit leaders Redbridge.