Football: New-look Barnston get the better of Walden reserves
AFC Barnston got their pre-season schedule off to a flying start with a 2-0 win over Saffron Walden Town Reserves on Saturday.
New boss Luke Nash gave debuts to no less than nine new players , with the average age of the squad being just 19-years-old.
The hosts started brightly with Dan Norris and Steven Rolfe playing together for the first time marshaling the back line well. They opened the scoring with a superb left foot strike from the lively Tom Hayes from 22 yards out nestling in the roof of the net.
Barnston continued to press and kept their shape defensively, although Walden pushed hard in the second half and brought out two great saves from goalkeeper Shane Hawkins.
Barnston looked threatening on the break with Dan Neat and Mitch Simmons linking up well, and the second goal came from a well-worked free kick. Nash, out wide, played in to Hayes who supplied the cross for a well-placed header from the impressive Keiron Heap.
You may also want to watch:
Walden made constant changes to freshen up the team but could not make a breakthrough.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Former Felsted schoolboy who broke back twice wins Tokyo bronze
- 3 Essex BMX star wins Olympic gold
- 4 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 5 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 6 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 7 Dog whose owner moved away without her is featured on TV
- 8 Uttlesford action against speeding and anti-social behaviour
- 9 Beth Shriever talks Tokyo: 'I'm proof that you can make it'
- 10 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park