Football: Green leaves Bloods feeling Brad all over
HAVERHILL ROVERS 2 (P Jenkin, R Kent) SAFFRON WALDEN 2 ( Jenkin og, B Green) BRAD Green s 72nd-minute goal ensured that Walden returned from the Boxing Day trip to Haverhill with a share of the points. It was a dour game, admitted assistant boss John Bu
HAVERHILL ROVERS 2 (P Jenkin, R Kent) SAFFRON WALDEN 2 ( Jenkin og, B Green)
BRAD Green's 72nd-minute goal ensured that Walden returned from the Boxing Day trip to Haverhill with a share of the points.
"It was a dour game," admitted assistant boss John Butchart. "But that's only to be expected at 11am on Boxing Day. A draw was probably a fair result."
Ben Riches had the game's first chance, in the 14th minute, when he broke free and fired over while, at the other end, Dave Pledger did well to save from John Welsh and Paul Jenkin headed a corner wide.
You may also want to watch:
Green forced a good save from Michael Bavister in the home goal in the 26th minute, before the visitors took the lead seven minutes before the break.
An inswinging corner from Greg Strong saw Richard Chadwick's diagonal run drag Jenkin out of position, and Rovers' top scorer headed past his own keeper under pressure from Chadwick.
- 1 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 2 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 3 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 4 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 5 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 6 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 7 Coronavirus rates in Essex are doubling every 10 days
- 8 This week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on July 22, 2021
- 9 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 10 Fun T2 cricket match and BBQ help to celebrate Dunmow's 125th anniversary
The scores were levelled shortly after the break when Ben Cowling appeared to make a meal of a challenge from Alex Riches on the edge of the box, and Jenkin atoned for his earlier error with a well struck free-kick, which left Pledger motionless as it flew into the top right-hand corner.
The hosts took the lead in the 65th minute when Pledger dropped a corner, leaving a grateful Ryan Kent with the simple task of tapping the ball home.
That lead last only seven minutes when Greg Strong's through ball was collected by Ben Riches and, after his shot was deflected by a defender, Green fired into the roof of the net to make it 2-2.
Substitutes Gareth Lippiatt and Tom Richardson both went close to snatch a late winner for the Bloods, but they were forced to settle for their fifth successive draw.
Bloods: D Pledger, D Wardley, B Newman, A Riches, M Danbury, R Chadwick, K Vallis (G Lippiatt), M Abrahams (M Wright), B Riches, B Green, G Strong (T Richardson). Unused subs: M Das, J Harvey.