Football: Green leaves Bloods feeling Brad all over
HAVERHILL ROVERS 2 (P Jenkin, R Kent) SAFFRON WALDEN 2 ( Jenkin og, B Green) BRAD Green s 72nd-minute goal ensured that Walden returned from the Boxing Day trip to Haverhill with a share of the points. It was a dour game, admitted assistant boss John Bu
HAVERHILL ROVERS 2 (P Jenkin, R Kent) SAFFRON WALDEN 2 ( Jenkin og, B Green)
BRAD Green's 72nd-minute goal ensured that Walden returned from the Boxing Day trip to Haverhill with a share of the points.
"It was a dour game," admitted assistant boss John Butchart. "But that's only to be expected at 11am on Boxing Day. A draw was probably a fair result."
Ben Riches had the game's first chance, in the 14th minute, when he broke free and fired over while, at the other end, Dave Pledger did well to save from John Welsh and Paul Jenkin headed a corner wide.
You may also want to watch:
Green forced a good save from Michael Bavister in the home goal in the 26th minute, before the visitors took the lead seven minutes before the break.
An inswinging corner from Greg Strong saw Richard Chadwick's diagonal run drag Jenkin out of position, and Rovers' top scorer headed past his own keeper under pressure from Chadwick.
- 1 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 2 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 3 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 6 Ageing trains mended using recycled parts for final years of service
- 7 New chief executive for ambulance service
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Roger Hirst remains in place in Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner elections
- 10 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
The scores were levelled shortly after the break when Ben Cowling appeared to make a meal of a challenge from Alex Riches on the edge of the box, and Jenkin atoned for his earlier error with a well struck free-kick, which left Pledger motionless as it flew into the top right-hand corner.
The hosts took the lead in the 65th minute when Pledger dropped a corner, leaving a grateful Ryan Kent with the simple task of tapping the ball home.
That lead last only seven minutes when Greg Strong's through ball was collected by Ben Riches and, after his shot was deflected by a defender, Green fired into the roof of the net to make it 2-2.
Substitutes Gareth Lippiatt and Tom Richardson both went close to snatch a late winner for the Bloods, but they were forced to settle for their fifth successive draw.
Bloods: D Pledger, D Wardley, B Newman, A Riches, M Danbury, R Chadwick, K Vallis (G Lippiatt), M Abrahams (M Wright), B Riches, B Green, G Strong (T Richardson). Unused subs: M Das, J Harvey.