Football: Green leaves Bloods feeling Brad all over
HAVERHILL ROVERS 2 (P Jenkin, R Kent) SAFFRON WALDEN 2 ( Jenkin og, B Green) BRAD Green s 72nd-minute goal ensured that Walden returned from the Boxing Day trip to Haverhill with a share of the points. It was a dour game, admitted assistant boss John Bu
HAVERHILL ROVERS 2 (P Jenkin, R Kent) SAFFRON WALDEN 2 ( Jenkin og, B Green)
BRAD Green's 72nd-minute goal ensured that Walden returned from the Boxing Day trip to Haverhill with a share of the points.
"It was a dour game," admitted assistant boss John Butchart. "But that's only to be expected at 11am on Boxing Day. A draw was probably a fair result."
Ben Riches had the game's first chance, in the 14th minute, when he broke free and fired over while, at the other end, Dave Pledger did well to save from John Welsh and Paul Jenkin headed a corner wide.
You may also want to watch:
Green forced a good save from Michael Bavister in the home goal in the 26th minute, before the visitors took the lead seven minutes before the break.
An inswinging corner from Greg Strong saw Richard Chadwick's diagonal run drag Jenkin out of position, and Rovers' top scorer headed past his own keeper under pressure from Chadwick.
- 1 Court sentence for Dunmow knife attacker, guilty of attempted murder
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 Council agrees to 'complicated' parking charges at Hylands Park
- 4 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 5 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 6 Book exchange opens in Dunmow
- 7 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 8 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 9 Tributes paid to PC Tris Baker who died in Roxwell collision
- 10 Festival poised for Holst's 150th birthday celebrations in 2024
The scores were levelled shortly after the break when Ben Cowling appeared to make a meal of a challenge from Alex Riches on the edge of the box, and Jenkin atoned for his earlier error with a well struck free-kick, which left Pledger motionless as it flew into the top right-hand corner.
The hosts took the lead in the 65th minute when Pledger dropped a corner, leaving a grateful Ryan Kent with the simple task of tapping the ball home.
That lead last only seven minutes when Greg Strong's through ball was collected by Ben Riches and, after his shot was deflected by a defender, Green fired into the roof of the net to make it 2-2.
Substitutes Gareth Lippiatt and Tom Richardson both went close to snatch a late winner for the Bloods, but they were forced to settle for their fifth successive draw.
Bloods: D Pledger, D Wardley, B Newman, A Riches, M Danbury, R Chadwick, K Vallis (G Lippiatt), M Abrahams (M Wright), B Riches, B Green, G Strong (T Richardson). Unused subs: M Das, J Harvey.