Football: Flitch put in battling cup final performance but fall at the last hurdle to Writtle
A PROUD, battling performance from flitch ended a narrow 2-0 defeat in the Southey league Cup Final.
Up against league dhampions Writtle, Flitch were the underdogs going into the game, but from the first whistle, the whole team gave it their all.
Great effort in midfield throughout saw Writtle on the back foot for much of the first half. However, against the run of the play Writtle forced a corner which was turned into his own net by a Flitch defender.
Kyah Mckenzie came close for Flitch on a couple of occasions but the score remained 1-0 at half time.
The second half began the same with Flitch battling away until Writtle were awarded a penalty. Goalkeeper Charlie Vickers got hands to the ball but was unable to stop the shot.
Flitch continued to push on but could not get the breakthrough needed.
However, the whole team were excellent and can all hold their heads high.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
- 3 A giant snail, sporting success and live music: school news
- 4 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 5 Visit Great Yarmouth for a family staycation
- 6 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 7 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 8 Musical theatre stars to bring the West End to Saffron Walden in celebration of Rodgers & Hammerstein
- 9 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 10 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
• Flitch Youth has two trial days coming up - on Saturday April 28 and Saturday May 5 at 10am. If you would like to go along and have a fun and friendly training session, feel free to attend the grounds at Allcotts Playing Field, Warehouse Road, Stebbing, CM6 1YX and ask for U10 manager Paul.