Football: Dunmow Rhodes under-16s book cup final date
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Rhodes under-16s defied the odds to book their a place in the Division One league cup final with a 3-1 win over Baddow Spartak.
With only 11 fit players available, and trailing 4-3 from the first leg, Rhodes were up against it.
But they got off to a superb start when a free-kick from James Cowler was touched onto the bar by the keeper and Rhys Krywoszej tapped in the rebound.
Nathan Suleyman had to go off with a shoulder injury, leaving Rhodes down to 10 men for the rest of the tie, but Cowler doubled their lead soon after with a composed finish.
Baddow applied pressure before the break, but could not make any inroads, and Dunmow went 3-0 up midway through the second half when a great free-kick into the box by Huey Reid was headed in by Cowler.
You may also want to watch:
Baddow pulled a goal back late on to set up a tense finish, but Dunmow held firm to secure a final date with Writtle in May.
- 1 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 2 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 3 Tens of thousands of pounds worth of horse riding gear stolen in High Easter
- 4 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 'This is my life version 2.0' - Doctor marks Covid anniversary with fundraising efforts
- 7 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 8 April 12: Five pub gardens and five shops you can visit in Uttlesford
- 9 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after serious accident between Takeley and Dunmow