Football: Dunmow Rhodes under-16s book cup final date
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Rhodes under-16s defied the odds to book their a place in the Division One league cup final with a 3-1 win over Baddow Spartak.
With only 11 fit players available, and trailing 4-3 from the first leg, Rhodes were up against it.
But they got off to a superb start when a free-kick from James Cowler was touched onto the bar by the keeper and Rhys Krywoszej tapped in the rebound.
Nathan Suleyman had to go off with a shoulder injury, leaving Rhodes down to 10 men for the rest of the tie, but Cowler doubled their lead soon after with a composed finish.
Baddow applied pressure before the break, but could not make any inroads, and Dunmow went 3-0 up midway through the second half when a great free-kick into the box by Huey Reid was headed in by Cowler.
You may also want to watch:
Baddow pulled a goal back late on to set up a tense finish, but Dunmow held firm to secure a final date with Writtle in May.
- 1 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
- 2 Fond farewell to Sweetland's butchers after 69 years in the trade
- 3 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 4 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 5 Wethersfield to house nearly 3,500 prisoners in government plan
- 6 Scouts jamboree fun covers radio skills to Morse Code
- 7 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 8 Full house success: Great Dunmow's Last Night of the Proms
- 9 Hylands Park's new parking charges will be lowered, says council
- 10 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport