Football: Dunmow Rhodes under-16s book cup final date
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Rhodes under-16s defied the odds to book their a place in the Division One league cup final with a 3-1 win over Baddow Spartak.
With only 11 fit players available, and trailing 4-3 from the first leg, Rhodes were up against it.
But they got off to a superb start when a free-kick from James Cowler was touched onto the bar by the keeper and Rhys Krywoszej tapped in the rebound.
Nathan Suleyman had to go off with a shoulder injury, leaving Rhodes down to 10 men for the rest of the tie, but Cowler doubled their lead soon after with a composed finish.
Baddow applied pressure before the break, but could not make any inroads, and Dunmow went 3-0 up midway through the second half when a great free-kick into the box by Huey Reid was headed in by Cowler.
You may also want to watch:
Baddow pulled a goal back late on to set up a tense finish, but Dunmow held firm to secure a final date with Writtle in May.
- 1 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 2 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 3 Beth Shriever talks Tokyo: 'I'm proof that you can make it'
- 4 Essex BMX star wins Olympic gold
- 5 Former Felsted schoolboy who broke back twice wins Tokyo bronze
- 6 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 7 Uttlesford action against speeding and anti-social behaviour
- 8 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 9 Dog whose owner moved away without her is featured on TV
- 10 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park