Football: Dunmow Rhodes make Knock-out Cup final after extra-time victory over Chelmsford City
- Credit: Archant
DUNMOW Rhodes reached the final of the Chelmsford Cup with a stunning extra-time display that deservedly put them through against Chelmsford City.
Dunmow took an early lead when Keiron Adams reacted quicker to a Smith through ball, took it round the keeper and rolled it into an empty net.
The hosts were in control until the referee awarded City a spot kick for handball that was clinically despatched.
This seemed to galvanise the visitors and they then enjoyed their best spell of the game, taking the lead with a close range header after the Rhodes defence had failed to clear.
Minutes after the goal, mid way through the second half, Dunmow were reduced to 10 men and things looked grim for the home side with Chelmsford a goal up and with a man advantage.
You may also want to watch:
But not for the first time this season Rhodes showed they don’t know when they are beaten - they were first to every ball and passing round the opposition looking like they had the extra man. A fine move down the right saw Ollie Grayson sent clear and he steered the ball past the keeper to send the tie into extra time.
With Dunmow spurning some great chances in the extra period it looked like the game was heading for penalties. But James Smith picked the ball up on the edge of the box and his shot sailed over the keeper and nestled in the top corner to send his side through.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert