Flitch brave poor conditions
SIX members of the Flitch Bikes team travelled up to the Thetford MTB Racing winter race series on Sunday. The weather was appalling with torrential rain causing part of the track to be closed early in the race. The 6.2-mile mountain bike circuit quickly
SIX members of the Flitch Bikes team travelled up to the Thetford MTB Racing winter race series on Sunday.
The weather was appalling with torrential rain causing part of the track to be closed early in the race. The 6.2-mile mountain bike circuit quickly became a quagmire with two of the team having to retire due to mechanical failure caused by the conditions.
However, out of 500 starters, Stuart Carmichael finished in 34th place in the men's open and Mark Jeden finished 30th in the men's 40-plus, despite having to mend his chain mid race.
Tom Deakins placed 102nd in the men's 40-plus and Chris Pallet placed 90th in the men's open; both respectable placings given the conditions as finishing at all was an achievement.
You may also want to watch:
Flitch Bikes have also just announced a new time trial racing team for 2008. Flitch Crono will consist of eight riders with their sights firmly set on silverware, headed by Dunmow man Richard O'Rourke. The club will also still be racing their existing Flitch Bikes team for beginners and improvers, so there's something for everyone.
Anyone interested in joining the club for some mountain biking or road cycling, either for racing or just fun, should contact them on 01371 872272 or e-mail email@example.com
- 1 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 2 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 3 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 6 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 7 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 8 Essex A&E waiting times: fears raised about winter as 'NHS really struggling'
- 9 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 10 Be there for seasonal Apple and Bees Day at the Gardens of Easton Lodge