First loss of league season for Dunmow
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow were unable to follow up their opening day Two Counties Championship Division Two victory as they fell to defeat against a strong Clacton side on a much better day for cricket.
Choosing to bowl first, Dunmow made an early breakthrough when Sheikh chipped meekly to mid-off for one off the bowling of Josh Rix.
The next chance was spurned as, before scoring, Ryan Chamberlain was dropped in the gully, he went on to make 32, while at the other end Clacton skipper Scott Facey made a rapid 46 before becoming Rix’s second victim.
The Clacton upper order continued to score briskly, with Brad Turner making 52 and Gary Kirk 47.
All this meant that after 35 overs, Clacton were 188-5 and looking at a very sizeable total.
But the Dunmow bowlers, particularly James Reyburn (2-24) and Rix (6-54) impressed and ensured Dunmow claimed maximum bowling points.
A good start was needed to give Dunmow a chance of chasing this total and did not come, with Joe Gallant, James Reyburn and Ali mustering just four between them; with the subsequent dismissal of Luke Swanston for 16, Dunmow were looking at being embarrassed at 20-4.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 3 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 4 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 5 10,000 signatures reached against Essex mega-prison proposal
- 6 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 7 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 8 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 9 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 10 Things to do in Essex this June
Skipper Paul Reid (23) and Mark Rosewell (41) steadied the ship, Ieuan Bush (20), Rix (24 not out) and Matt Gibson (13) all made useful contributions to get Dunmow to 150-3 and batting points.
The pick of the Clacton bowlers was Athukoralage who ended with 3-38 from 13 overs.
This Saturday Dunmow 1st XI travel to Ipswich, while the 2nd XI host Kelvedon & Feering 3rd XI.