Felsted's Gus Burton enjoys memorable debut in the GT Championship
- Credit: JAKOB EBREY
A Felsted schoolboy made a dream debut in the GT Championship - walking off with the victory at Brands Hatch.
Gus Burton, along with co-driver Will Burns, had already secured pole position in the event before clinching the two-hour GT4 race.
The 17-year-old came into the competition after placing second in the 2020 Ginetta GT4 SuperCup Championship and was announced as a 2021 British Racing Drivers’ Club (BRDC) Rising Star earlier this year.
Burton said: "To achieve pole position and a race win in my first British GT weekend is a great accomplishment for the team.
"After testing late last year, I was confident that the BMW M4 was going to provide us with the best chance of mounting a title challenge and these results have confirmed that we have the foundations on which to have a successful year.
"My goal is to use this positive momentum through to Silverstone and further develop the relationship I have with Team Century and Will.”
His next challenge is the Silverstone 500 on June 27.
- 1 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 2 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 3 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 4 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 5 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 6 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 7 Moth night celebrates Dunmow's autumn biodiversity
- 8 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 9 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 10 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed