Felsted girls secure Essex hockey crown
- Credit: Archant
Felsted’s U14 and U16 girls showed their hockey prowess at recent Essex tournaments, with the U14 team being crowned champions and the U16 taking the runners-up title.
Only conceding two goals all day and scoring many more, the U14 girls showed their skills at Redbridge on October 16.
They beat Coopers Coburn 2-1, Forest 6-1, Chelmsford County High 3-0 and King John 9-0 in the group round, Brentwood in the semi-final 1-0 and Chigwell 1-0 in the final.
The girls qualify as Essex champions for the East Regional Tournament next month at Bedford School.
The U16’s played at Redbridge on October 7, beating Brentwood 3-0, HRS 2-0 and Chigwell 2-0 in the groups, New Hall 6-0 in the semi-finals, but they lost 2-1 to Coopers Coburn in the final.
You may also want to watch:
However, as Essex runners-up, the team still qualify for the East Regional Tournament.
In addition, U16 player Alexandra Went, aged 14, has been selected by England Hockey for the HiPAC (High Performance Assessment Camps) squad.
- 1 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 2 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 3 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 4 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 5 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 6 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 7 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 8 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 9 Ambitious and fast-growing High Roding raring to go ahead of new season
- 10 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
The camp takes place annually during October and is all about training. Young people in the U15 and U17 age groups are selected from the JRPC Cluster Days to come together and train with some of the country’s finest coaches.
As an integral step on the Single System ladder, the HIPACs aim to show players in the U15 age group that training is as important as competition and they will be taken through a number of sessions both on and off the pitch.
Went will travel to Sports Park Weetwood, Leeds for three days of training from October 26-28.