FA Vase replay for Takeley after draw with Hoddesdon Town
- Credit: Archant
Takeley will play Ipswich Wanderers in the first round proper of the FA Vase if they can overcome Hoddesdon Town in a replay on Tuesday night (October 13).
The two sides drew 1-1 on Saturday at Station Road forcing the pair to meet again in Hertfordshire next week.
Before the game a minute’s silence was observed by officials, players and spectators prior to kick-off for the sad and sudden loss of Glynis Curran, the wife of Takeley chairman Pat.
This was a very competitive match from the start.
Only two minutes into the game the first attempt on goal saw a shot from Hoddesdon’s Josh Lillis saved by Takeley keeper Josh Knight.
There were many chances for both sides, but it was Takeley’s Ryan Lockett who broke the deadlock in the 33rd minute with an effort from outside the penalty area.
The lead was soon cancelled out with a goal from Hoddesdon’s Tommy Wade just three minutes later.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 3 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 6 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 7 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 8 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 9 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 10 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
Before half time, the hosts’ Jordan Westcott and James Mayes both received yellow cards.
The second half saw more of the same; an open end-to-end game that could easily have produced more than two goals.
Takeley’s Alex Martin picked up a yellow card in the 56th minute along with Andy Reed who had only been on the pitch for four minutes.
The game went into extra- time and with tired legs in evidence, the play became more expansive and open.
Both teams were looking for a winner, but none was forthcoming and a draw was a fair result.
Prior to the replay, Takeley entertain derby rivals Stansted on Saturday in the Essex Senior League Premier Division.