F1 champions Red Bull sign Dunmow’s Alex Lynn to junior team
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow racer Alex Lynn has been snapped up by Formula One world champions Red Bull – joining their junior team for the 2014 season.
The 20-year-old, who won the iconic F3 Macau Grand Prix last month, spoke of his delight at the possibility of following in the footsteps of four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel.
He said: “I think that it is obviously fantastic to be privileged enough to join the team that has produced so many Formula One drivers and that includes the greatest driver of our generation so far.
“Everything has been a bit of a whirlwind since winning Macau. Getting the Red Bull opportunity is massive, and I think Macau helped me get it. Now I’m ready to do the job I need to and make the most of the opportunity.”
He added: “Joining the Red Bull Junior Team takes away a lot of the uncertainty of whether I can get to Formula One. Now I know that if I perform well I will get the chance. That’s all a driver can ask for.”
You may also want to watch:
Three other drivers in the Infiniti Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso squads, Daniel Ricciardo, Jean-Eric Vergne and most recently Daniil Kyvat, all graduated from the junior programme.
Lynn, who finished third in his rookie season in the FIA European Formula 3 Championship, will be making the step up to race in GP3 for Carlin next year.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
The Red Bull Junior Team has been trimmed to just three drivers for 2014, with Spaniard Carlos Sainz Jr, 19, and 17-year-old Frenchman Pierre Gasly.
Looking ahead to GP3, Lynn said: “In terms of car performance it is obviously a faster car but I believe that I can take the experience that I have gathered in the last two years in Formula 3 and in Formula Renault and do a good job as quickly as possible in GP3. I think that with the strength of the Carlin team and my experience we should be able to do a good job straight away.”
The GP3 regulations prohibit private testing so no one will get into a car for 2014 until the first of the three preseason tests in Estoril on March 27-28.
“There is no chance to get into a car until then but Carlin have a simulator so I will be working hard in that and with the engineers to get acclimatised ahead of time,” Lynn added.
Carlin team principal Trevor Carlin said: “We’ve always wanted to run Alex, and we realise what a talent he is. We’re very excited about having him in the team, especially after he dominated Macau.
“Alex has qualifying pace and he is also a very intelligent racing driver. He will be a championship favourite in GP3 and the pressure will be on us to deliver for him.”