Essex drag racers take UK Championship
Little Dunmow’s Adam Price was crowned UK Drag Racing Champion at Santa Pod despite going into the final week with an untested car.
Testing for Team Gridlock on the Saturday proved difficult after making some changes to the car last week. Fortunately the team rocketed to the top of qualifying.
“The team could not maintain the lead as we were shut down on the start line when a competitors car caught fire and we were really too hot to run,” said team principle Dexter Price.
“We did not get a chance to maintain the qualifying position. Although dropping to fourth place in qualifying it actually did us a favour as the two teams that were our greatest threats would meet in the elimination in semi finals should they get through.”
A quarter final pairing against a slingshot dragster proved easy pickings as the team picked up a 1.3 second win which proved to be enough points to take the championship by a comfortable six points.
With the championship already wrapped up, Team Dragster went for a rare perfect dial in, but unfortunately lost out by 0.003 of a second.
The team were delighted to have won the national championships in only their third competitive season.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Dunmow Rovers Tigers Under 10s celebrate 'fantastic result'
- 3 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 4 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 5 High Easter hit Legends with second-half goal blitz
- 6 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 7 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 10 Wins for High Roding, Aythorpe Roding and Dunmow cricketers
“We now have to defend the title,” said Adam Price. “When you consider the quality and experience of the opposition, it will be no mean feat, but we will be there, going harder , going faster. “
The team now start their preparation for 2012 after showcasing the car at Autosport at the NEC while seeking sponsorship for next year.
CAPTION: Crossing the finish line and slowing by parachute
Picture: Rob Cox