England call-ups for Dunmow duo
- Credit: Archant
Two junior members of Dunmow Karate Club have again been selected to fight for England later this month.
Luke Stubbs, aged 13, and Amber Morris, aged 15, will compete in the forthcoming Severn Challenge - Cup of Europe Tournament against Wales, Ireland and Switzerland on Saturday, October 25 at Turnford School Community Sports Centre in Cheshunt.
The duo, along with the club’s Kayley Morris and Isabel Benjamin, also stand a great chance of representing Great Britain next year at the World Championships in Greece.
They are all pupils at The Helena Romanes School in Dunmow and have already represented England this year at tournaments in Switzerland and Wales.
As well as that they have been attending GB squad training sessions on a regular basis.
You may also want to watch:
The GB team for the World Championships will be announced in November.
Earlier in the year the club’s Senpai Lia Howlett and Josie Smith passed black belt gradings at the British Karate Kyokushinkai (BKK) annual summer camp in Felsted.
- 1 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 2 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 3 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 4 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 5 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 6 Ageing trains mended using recycled parts for final years of service
- 7 New chief executive for ambulance service
- 8 Roger Hirst remains in place in Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner elections
- 9 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
- 10 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
Senpai Lia is already a 1st Dan Black Belt and was attempting her 2nd Dan and Smith was attempting her 1st Dan from a brown belt.
The grading was taken by the chief instructor of the British Karate Kyokushinkai, Hanshi Steve Arneil 10th Dan over a four day period.
They were both tested on their technical ability in stance, strikes, blocks, kicks, kata, renraku’s, fitness and their general knowledge of Kyokushin Karate.
Visit www.dunmowkarate.co.uk for further information about the club.