England call-ups for Dunmow duo
- Credit: Archant
Two junior members of Dunmow Karate Club have again been selected to fight for England later this month.
Luke Stubbs, aged 13, and Amber Morris, aged 15, will compete in the forthcoming Severn Challenge - Cup of Europe Tournament against Wales, Ireland and Switzerland on Saturday, October 25 at Turnford School Community Sports Centre in Cheshunt.
The duo, along with the club’s Kayley Morris and Isabel Benjamin, also stand a great chance of representing Great Britain next year at the World Championships in Greece.
They are all pupils at The Helena Romanes School in Dunmow and have already represented England this year at tournaments in Switzerland and Wales.
As well as that they have been attending GB squad training sessions on a regular basis.
The GB team for the World Championships will be announced in November.
Earlier in the year the club’s Senpai Lia Howlett and Josie Smith passed black belt gradings at the British Karate Kyokushinkai (BKK) annual summer camp in Felsted.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 8 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 9 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 10 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
Senpai Lia is already a 1st Dan Black Belt and was attempting her 2nd Dan and Smith was attempting her 1st Dan from a brown belt.
The grading was taken by the chief instructor of the British Karate Kyokushinkai, Hanshi Steve Arneil 10th Dan over a four day period.
They were both tested on their technical ability in stance, strikes, blocks, kicks, kata, renraku’s, fitness and their general knowledge of Kyokushin Karate.
Visit www.dunmowkarate.co.uk for further information about the club.