Emotional evening at Dunmow Atlantis Swimming Club’s awards night
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Atlantis Swimming Club said an emotional goodbye to head coach Steve Turner as he headed towards his retirement.
Turner has been at the helm for many years and was presented with an array of gifts, including a watch and engraved commemoration plate at the climax of the club’s championships.
And there weren’t many dry eyes in the house as a video montage, put together by junior coach Holly Miles, showed numerous messages of thanks from the swimmers.
An overwhelmed Turner said: “I am tremendously proud of the Dunmow Atlantis Swimming Club family and for their continued support of all of our events.
“The swimmers at this club are truly amazing and fill me with pride in their determination to succeed and to be the best that they can be.”
The night also saw numerous medals presented, successes celebrated and new captains announced.
The championships are a chance for members aged eight and upwards to compete for medals, personal bests and either obtain or improve their Essex county qualifying times.
- 1 Calvin Harris, David Guetta and Fatboy Slim announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 2 Katie Price alleged assault: Suspect 'released under investigation'
- 3 Dunmow Town Team announces 2021 Christmas market
- 4 Man in hospital after Chelmsford Road collision
- 5 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 6 Christmas festivities kick off in Great Dunmow
- 7 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 8 Dunmow Special and Braintree PCSO among award winners
- 9 Police arrest nearly 100 M11 and M25 environmental protestors
- 10 There With You This Winter: New scheme for insulation improvements
Their efforts culminated in the presentation evening, where coaches, swimmers and parents could honour achievements.
This was then followed by a buffet and disco.
Team captains for 2017 are Maddie Lees, Damon Elliot, Jamie Spong and Rebecca Watt.
Darren Tucker, DASC head coach, proudly presented the Swimmer of the Year award to 12-year-old Toby Rayner, who was also the lucky recipient of a Jack Petchey award alongside 14-year-old Will Smith.