Elsenham chop down Wood

Elsenham U-8 4 Risden Wood 1 Elsenham s youngsters earned their first success of the season against Risden Wood at the Recreation Ground on Sunday. The hosts started brightly and deservedly took the lead when Joshua Fernandes-Hayden s effort was turned i

Elsenham U-8 4

Risden Wood 1

Elsenham's youngsters earned their first success of the season against Risden Wood at the Recreation Ground on Sunday.

The hosts started brightly and deservedly took the lead when Joshua Fernandes-Hayden's effort was turned into his own net by a Risden player.

After some good team work, Rhys Daltrey was able to add a second from close range to send Elsenham in two goals up at the break.

Another own goal early in the second half extended the home side's advantage before Christian Barker finished things off, shooting to the left of the keeper to secure the win.

Most Read

Barmond United U-14 0 Elsenham 14

Elsenham proved far too good for Barmond in their League Cup First Round Clash at Hampson Park.

After a slow opening 10 minutes, Elsenham clicked into gear and took the lead with a goal from Dean Clayden. That immediately opened the floodgates and within a minute Mason Duckett slotted home.

Clayden then got the goal of the game when he latched onto Adam Mace's flick and cracked home a spectacular 20-yard volley. Shortly afterwards, Luke Fisher was on hand to turn in Elsenham's fourth.

Mitchell Seaman and Jack Gumble were introduced from the substitutes' bench after 20 minutes and Seaman immediately got on the scoresheet with his first touch of the game. Michael Jarvis headed home Clayden's corner, before Clayden completed his hat-trick just before half-time.

The second-half was a similar tale, with Duckett and Clayden adding further goals before a Barmond defender put through his own net and Seaman fired in

his second.

Elsenham brought keeper Jon Booth out on pitch for the final 15 minutes and after scoring twice he was denied a quick-fire hat-trick when his penalty was saved by the Barmond keeper.

Dunmow United Lions U-9 0 Chelmsford Orient 0

Dunmow United gained their first draw of the season and were extremely unlucky not to get their first win against Chelmsford.

The side played like a team, finding space and passing and had countless chances that the goalkeeper saved.

In the second half captain Sebastian Lawrence pushed up to midfield and it looked only a matter of time before the Lions scored. However, time was not on their side and their luck ran out in front of goal.

Wilvale Rangers U-9 4 Dunmow United Tigers 3

A keenly contested League Cup game saw Wilvale edge out Dunmow United at the weekend.

United had some good chances in the first half, but found themselves three goals down before the break.

The second half began the same as first half ended with United pressing and finally getting their reward through Jake Lander.

Some good defensive play from Brown and Clelland kept Rangers at bay while Lander added his second.

A quick short corner led to Lander blasting home to complete a hat-trick and levelling the score.

United looked good for a deserved draw until Rangers hit United on the break to grab victory.

Dunmow United Stars U-10 3 Tiptree Minors 1

Dunmow United Stars shone on Sunday, with a League Cup victory over Tiptree.

Dunmow started the brighter and Ben Brown belted the ball in the back of the net in the early minutes to put Dunmow ahead.

An error on behalf of the Dunmow side from a Tiptree corner saw an own goal, levelling the scores.

The second half continued with Daniel Forbes putting in a fine individual performance with an extremely well taken goal.

The third and final goal came when Luke Goodwin ran from his own half past defenders before tucking it neatly under the keeper to wrap up a well deserved victory.

Dunmow United U-11 0 Hatfield Peveral 10

Dunmow were punished for every mistake on Sunday with a heavy defeat against Hatfield Peverel.

Although most of the play was in the Dunmow half, some promising signs were given when Josh Haylett and Paris St Hill often broke forward to switch the course of play.

Dunmow defended bravely against an onslaught from Hatfield, which required some crucial tackles from a tired defence and midfield.

Dunmow are still picking up the off-side rule and often played Hatfield on-side to allow the visitors to add to their tally.

Dunmow Rhodes Tigers U-7 2 Great Notley Strikers 3

RHODES were involved in another thrilling encounter, the classic game of two halves at the weekend.

Rhodes started the brighter and took the lead after five minutes when good pressure by Barry and Brown set up Johnson who finished from close range.

The Tigers' dominance continued and five minutes later Brown unleashed a powerful right-foot shot into the roof of the net.

Notley showed more enterprise at the start of the second half and caused the home defence problems. The visitors scored three well-taken goals, while at the other end, Rhodes could not convert any of their good chances to claim a share of the points, for which their performance deserved.

Sporting 77 U-8 0 Dunmow Rhodes Tigers 1

tigers maintained their good start to the season against a big physically strong Sporting side.

In the first half Dunmow struggled to impose their passing game but still created enough chances to have been out of sight.

The only goal of the game, however, came from a very smart turn and shot in the box from Louie Wise.

The second half brought a much better performance, the passing and movement was excellent, but again convincing finishing was lacking.

Great Notley Irons U-9 2 Dunmow Rhodes Lions 2

Dunmow kicked off their League Cup campaign with a creditable draw against a good Notley side.

They got the upper hand in the fifth minute when a good move saw Thompson provide a pin-point cross to Carey to slot home.

In the 13th minute against the run of play Notley equalised when their striker's shot deflected off a Rhodes defender giving keeper Johnson no chance.

This seemed to spur Notley into action and in the 18th minute they went ahead when their attacker nipped in to tuck the ball home from close range.

Rhodes didn't let their heads drop and equalised in the 35th minute when Wise stepped up for a free-kick outside the area and struck a thunderbolt into the back of the net.

Torquespeed Thunder U10 1 Dunmow Rhodes Tigers 1

In the first of three scheduled encounters this season, last year's Dengie League winners Rhodes came up against the winners of the top Blackwater Division Torquespeed, in Tiptree, and a scintillating encounter was enjoyed by all spectators in this League Cup encounter.

Dunmow had the first chance but Sutton's shot flew over the bar. Torquespeed responded immediately and keeper Butler had to pull off his first save of the day.

The second half opened with an all-out power display by the visitors, and Rhodes certainly looked the better team, when an outstanding cross by midfielder Baxter combined with a diving Crook header opened the scoring for the Tigers.

Torquespeed then put Rhodes under pressure and finally made the breakthrough when a corner was converted by a Torquespeed boot to level the scores.

The final five minutes saw Rhodes' skipper, Orpen, skim the Torquespeed bar with a left-footed drive, and Butler pull off another remarkable save, by tipping a high ball over his goal, however neither team could make a further breakthrough.

Chelmsford Orient U-11 1 Dunmow Rhodes Tigers 10

Dunmow came from behind to progress to the next round of the knock-out cup at Chelmsford.

The home side started the stronger and with eight minutes gone Orient took the lead from a header following a corner.

Rhodes quickly raised their game and in the 12th minute a Burgess run and cross was tapped home by Johnson. Ten minutes later Tigers took the lead through Cooper and a minute before half-time, an Orpen corner was met by a powerful Burgess header to give Rhodes a 3-1 half-time lead.

After the restart the visitors dominated, and in the 39th minute Burgess burst through to score his second. Orpen opened his account in the 46th minute lobbing the keeper from the edge of the area while in the 54th minute, a Maybanks shot was finished off by Mason-Claridge.

Two minutes later, Maybanks beat four players and blasted home and then Reijs curled a right-foot shot into the net.

Two more goals in injury time saw Johnson bag his second from the edge of the area and Orpen tap home for his brace from a great Johnson cross.

Dunmow Rhodes Tigers U-14 4 Doddinghurst 1

Rhodes Tigers put in a great performance to defeat Doddinghurst in their first game of the season.

The first goal scored by Courtney Moseley was followed by another by new signing Ellis Carter although Doddinghurst pulled one back before the break.

The Tigers added to their tally in the second half when captain Taylor O'Toole lobbed the keeper. Finally, a great run by Rhodes saw a brilliant cross from Ryan Flemming resulting in James Stranders scoring with a perfect header to round off the victory.

Danbury U-14 2 Dunmow Rhodes Lions 6

Dunmow Rhodes Lions started their cup campaign with a hard fought victory over Danbury.

The first half saw Rhodes take the lead with a goal from captain Oli Starling direct from a corner. Danbury battled continually during the first half and were awarded a penalty kick, which they converted and the teams went in 1-1 at half-time.

The second half saw Rhodes step up the pace and a couple of early goals from Sam Mason-Claridge looked to have given Rhodes some breathing space, but Danbury continued to battle hard and pulled a goal back to make it 3-2.

However, Mason Claridge went on to complete his hat-trick and then score number four and five to give Rhodes a convincing victory at the final whistle.

Spartak 78 U-11 2 Newmarket Town 2

An exciting game between Spartak and Newmarket ended in a draw at the weekend.

The visitors took the lead just before before half-time with a skillful lob over Michael Sharp.

Spartak fought back well in the second half with a long shot from Coby Game that just skimmed over the bar. Finally Spartak got the equaliser after Joseph Whealand chipped in a corner ball.

It was not long before Newmarket slotted in another goal to take the lead. Spartak continued to push forward however, and were rewarded in the last minute when Charlie Sangster found the space to chip in the equaliser that Spartak were looking for.

Spartak U-17 3 Priory Parkside 2

After a disappointing result last week Spartak got back to winning ways against last year's league winners Priory Parkside.

Within 10 minutes Sam Kidman put Spartak in the lead and this was shortly followed by Ashley King heading the ball over the keeper.

Priory didn't give up and a lack of communication in the Spartak defence saw them concede a cheap goal before half-time.

The second half started with Parkside putting the Spartak defence under pressure and they were rewarded with an equaliser.

Spartak showed their character however and Ashley King slotted home the winner.

Spartak U-12 Reds 3 Priory Parkside A 0

Spartak got the better of Priory Parkside once again on Sunday with a league victory.

After a slow start, the Reds began to play flowing football and took a deserved lead when Theo Hutchinson fought for possession on the left and crossed into the box for James Kenyon who smashed a shot into the bottom left corner.

Priory regrouped and put Spartak under pressure but keeper by Pooley and the rest of the defence held firm and the hosts went in at half-time with a slender advantage.

The second half saw Spartak take control of the game and Powell, Hutchinson and Kenyon all went close to extending their lead with Low and Gurang hitting the bar.

They finally doubled their advantage after neat passing play between Powell, Gurang and Richie carved Priory open and Richie's pass to Kenyon on the left of the goal was clinically shot into the net.

They made the game safe soon after when Hutchinson received the ball from a throw-in. He took the ball across field, weaving past three Priory defenders before passing to Powell on the right flank.

Powell swiftly cut back inside, losing his marker and unleashed his shot, which sailed past the Parkside keeper.

Hatfield Peverel Jets U-11 0 Thaxted Rangers 2

For the second week running Thaxted put two past Hatfield Peverel to secure a comfortable victory in the Knock-Out Cup.

Thaxted's dominance was demonstrated by their goalie's involvement, just one touch in each half, but despite the game being played almost exclusively in the home side's half, Thaxted struggled to score.

The deadlock was finally broken just after the break when Tom Burke blasted a shot from the edge of the area that flew into the top right corner of the net.

The visitors kept pushing forward, but it was not until five minutes from time when William Aitken scored to make it 2-0 and finally settle the game.

Flitch Town U-9 1 Thaxted Rangers Yellows 4

Thaxted enjoyed a cup victory over Flitch at the weekend.

Thaxted started strongly and took the lead when Graydon Thorpe scored with an excellent shot from the edge of the penalty box. Thaxted's second followed some great interplay between Tommy Croft, Declan Ireland and William Lawrence who pushed the ball to Matt Pike to score.

Flitch came out fighting in the second half and it took some excellent saves from Michael Francis in the visitor's goal to keep Rangers in the lead, but when the home side conceded a free kick on the edge of their area, a beautifully taken shot from William Lawrence gave Thaxted a three goal advantage.

Thaxted made it four towards the end when William Lawrence scored his second, but just before the final whistle Flitch did manage a late consolation.

Flitch Youth U-11 2 Great Notley Rovers 1

Flitch Youth thoroughly deserved to bag their first three points of the season after a terrific display at home to Great Notley Rovers on Sunday.

Flitch almost got the first goal their play deserved mid-way through the first half, when a deflected cross was cleared off the line and the follow-up clipped a post.

The second half began in the same fashion with Flitch continuing to push forward, and they were rewarded with the opening goal, Connor Gray getting forward to score neatly from 10 yards out.

Mattie Bull soon added a second with a smart strike into the corner, and although Rovers got a goal back, Flitch continued to push forward and finished the game on top.

Saffron Walden U-16 5 Panthers 4

Walden chalked up their first points of the season at the weekend with a narrow victory over Panthers.

A positive start saw the Young Bloods take the lead through a George Dann strike in the fifth minute, but despite several close efforts they were not able to capitalise on this until stung into action by an equaliser from the visitors 20 minutes later.

Walden came back strongly and two goals in quick succession from Chris Gee and Sean Stock gave the hosts a healthy advantage at the break.

The second half overall belonged to the Walden boys. Despite Panthers pulling two soft goals back through gaps in the defence, Jon Walker and Luke Bunting both found the net to give Walden the points.

Writtle Minors U-12 3 Thaxted Rangers 4

In what was very much a game of two halves Thaxted Rangers progressed through to the last 16 of the Knock-out Cup against Writtle Minors.

Thaxted had nearly all of the, first half and went in 4-0 ahead at half-time with goals from Danny Buckley, Jack Flood (2) and Ashley Allington.

However, it was a different story in the second half when Writtle had the wind and the slope behind them. They fought back with real spirit to net three goals, but Thaxted ultimately won through in an excellent cup game.

Vipers Youth U-9 Beacon Hill Rovers 1

In a mouth-watering League Cup tie Vipers put in a strong performance to take the victory.

Vipers took a 1-0 lead after Luke Cov scored a stunning goal, but Beacon Hill came back and scored an equaliser in the first half.

In the second period the Vipers moved up a gear and took control of the game, some great midfield play by Luke Cub enabled Tom C to score another goal followed by an own goal.

Aztecs Juniors U-11 3 Saffron Walden 2

Aztecs Juniors came from behind to defeat Saffron Walden at the weekend.

Walden dominated the first 40 minutes by being first to the ball and keeping an excellent shape. Charlie Pitt scored a double - the first after six minutes, the second after 31 minutes.

Will Clark and Daniel Page came close to extending the lead, while Pitt couldn't quite direct a close range header on target.

Suddenly, Walden began to run out of steam and Aztecs took control.

Andrew Smith in the visitors goal made a fabulous save, but it wasn't enough as the pressure built and three goals in quick succession turned the game on its head.

Aztecs A U-13 3 Ellesmere Eagles 3

Aztecs clawed their way back into the match after half-time against Ellesmere to earn a deserved point from this top of the table clash.

Ellesmere Eagles dominated the opening exchanges and took the lead after four minutes through a perfect lob that flew over Liam Basham in the Aztecs goal.

Aztecs created a few good chances in response, however the Eagles swooped again and with clinical finishing scored twice in the space of five minutes

after finally breaking through the Aztecs' defence.

The hosts started the second half brightly and the breakthrough came when a corner from Boyce was flicked over the Eagles defence by Lowe and Orriss was perfectly placed to reduce the deficit.

Ten minutes later, Aztecs were awarded a penalty after a handball in the area and Boyce beat the keeper from the spot.

Aztecs continued to pour forward and levelled when a free-kick was well executed by Boyce, who found Orriss and he struck the ball high into the net for the equaliser.

Aztecs B U-13 12 Coton Cosmos 3

Aztecs extended their winning streak by putting a dozen goals past Coton on Sunday.

Jack Fosberry opened the scoring with a neat header before a knee injury ended his game. George Reynolds doubled the lead with a firm drive past the keeper, and there were two goals each for Tim Jefferies and Adam Kelly and one for Anthony Phillips before half-time.

After the break, manager Dave Lockwood shuffled his pack, placing the strikers in central defence and the defenders up front.

Skipper Luke Bird got on the score sheet and keeper Ollie Jones scored from two close-range strikes during a rare spell at centre forward.

Despite conceding a penalty, Aztecs continued to dominate the game and the victory was wrapped up with goals from Phillips and Ian Foulger.