Early FA Vase exit for 10-man Takeley
- Credit: Archant
Takeley crashed out of the FA Vase on Saturday and had a man sent off in a 2-1 loss at Wivenhoe Town in the first qualifying round.
Within minutes of kick-off Daryl Doolan missed a sure opportunity to put the visitors into the lead.
However, in the 11th minute, the home side went ahead as Ben Parkin netted.
There was another blow for Takeley when skipper Alex Martin had to be replaced after suffering an ankle injury.
After the break Wivenhoe grabbed a second goal on 57 minutes, when Peter Maina scrambled home.
You may also want to watch:
It did not seem like it was going to be Takeley’s day and that was summed up when Jake Buckland collected two yellows cards and was sent off.
Duncan Easley’s men did pull one back before the end when Greig Taylor capitalised on a poor backpass in injury time to make the final score 2-1.
- 1 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 2 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 3 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 4 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 5 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 6 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 7 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 8 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 9 Stansted author to release second novel
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision
For Wivenhoe the forwards worked well together, Takeley were blessed by the hard work of their man of the match Josh Jewson.
Ollie Dent and keeper Paul Wavell kept out many opportune moments made by the hosts, while Jordan Westcott had another good game.
Takeley return to league action on Saturday away to Greenhouse London.