Early FA Vase exit for 10-man Takeley
- Credit: Archant
Takeley crashed out of the FA Vase on Saturday and had a man sent off in a 2-1 loss at Wivenhoe Town in the first qualifying round.
Within minutes of kick-off Daryl Doolan missed a sure opportunity to put the visitors into the lead.
However, in the 11th minute, the home side went ahead as Ben Parkin netted.
There was another blow for Takeley when skipper Alex Martin had to be replaced after suffering an ankle injury.
After the break Wivenhoe grabbed a second goal on 57 minutes, when Peter Maina scrambled home.
It did not seem like it was going to be Takeley’s day and that was summed up when Jake Buckland collected two yellows cards and was sent off.
Duncan Easley’s men did pull one back before the end when Greig Taylor capitalised on a poor backpass in injury time to make the final score 2-1.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 5 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 6 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 7 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 8 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 10 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
For Wivenhoe the forwards worked well together, Takeley were blessed by the hard work of their man of the match Josh Jewson.
Ollie Dent and keeper Paul Wavell kept out many opportune moments made by the hosts, while Jordan Westcott had another good game.
Takeley return to league action on Saturday away to Greenhouse London.