Eagle on top in thrilling play-off tie
THE Eagle confirmed their position as darts kings of the Ridley League last week by beating Rayne Cock in their divisional champions play-off at Dunmow s Flitch Snooker Club. It was a repeat of the Galleywood pub s 5-2 cup final triumph – and once again,
THE Eagle confirmed their position as darts kings of the Ridley League last week by beating Rayne Cock in their divisional champions play-off at Dunmow's Flitch Snooker Club.
It was a repeat of the Galleywood pub's 5-2 cup final triumph - and once again, the Cock could feel a little disappointed that the scoreline didn't reflect their part in the evening.
Phil Barrett's smart 98 shot out in the opening clash against the Eagle's Alan Morton set the standard. Team-mate Noel Cummins' 103 finish kept the next game alive, only for Matt Doe to claim the deciding leg in a shower of four ton-pluses, and Harry Smith (Eagle) notched 121 and 180 in the third leg to get the drop on the fast-throwing Tony Hird.
Lee Skinner (Eagle) justified his elevation to duty in place of the unavailable Peter Cable with two clinical game shots against Mark Sainsbury, but the Cock's stand-in captain Matt Atkinson rose to the challenge with the 108 finish that set up a straight-legs win over Alex Tinsley.
You may also want to watch:
It was all over in the next game, though in the cruellest way imaginable. Al Dewar (Cock) left Alan Church for dead with a deciding-leg burst of 120 away, 140, 78, 100 - then hit double trouble. His opponent pounced gratefully, leaving Eagle skipper Steve Tinsley, fittingly, to add the final point in the face of a brave maximum by Julius Godfrey.
Another 180, by Dunmow Cricketers' Lucy Ward-Geddes, lit up the Mixed League play-off as she and Richard Ward interrupted the Eagle's victory march. Ward-Geddes' hopes of a title double, however, were torpedoed by the lack of a partner in the Women's League showdown. She was outgunned by Mill Green Cricketers' reigning champs Marion Wiley and Caroline Kochan, Wiley settling it with a 107 game shot.
- 1 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 2 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 3 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 4 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 5 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 6 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 7 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 8 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 9 Stansted author to release second novel
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision
Shane Kochan had earned the Fryerning side's first trophy of the night, beating Alan Bell (Retreat) in the Dominoes Singles final in a positive blur of spots. Felsted Chequers, meanwhile, celebrated their first Dominoes League title, the unbeaten Neil Linin and Darren Wilks providing half their points as former champs Margaretting Black Bull were vanquished 6-3.
LEAGUE PLAY-OFFS (Flitch Snooker Club) - Darts Lge: Eagle 5, Cock 2. Mixed Lge: Cricketers Dun. 2, Eagle 1. Women's Lge: Cricketers MG 2, Cricketers Dun. 0. Dominoes Lge: Chequers 6, Black Bull 3.
DOMINOES SINGLES - Final: S Kochan (Cricketers MG) 2, A Bell (Retreat) 0.
- NEW clubs are invited for the 2007-08 season. Ring 01245-259480 or 01279-876296 for information, or come to the annual meeting at Felsted Chequers on Tuesday, August 14 (8.30).