Dunmow youngster wins at Wimbledon
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Tennis Club’s Paige Bott celebrated three wins on the hallowed turf of Wimbledon at the National 14 & Under Challenge finnals last week.
Bott, 13, had won the Essex Championships to qualify for the Road to Wimbledon event alongside 47 others from all over the country.
And she beat the 11th seed 7-6, 6-0, the 16th seed 6-1, 6-2 and won her last group match 6-0, 6-2 to reach the knockout stages.
Unfortunately she lost a tight three-set m atch 12-10 in a tiebreak but Dunmow head coach Ollie Clark said: “What Paige has achieved is remarkable. To qualify was incredible and to go and win three matches against some high-quality players is amazing.
“We had set a goal of Paige qualifying from her group and she exceeded all expectations. She’s worked very hard to get here and deserves all the praise she’s getting. How many can say they’ve won three matches at Wimbledon!
You may also want to watch:
“Paige is a true credit to our club and we are all very proud of her.”
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 New cycle network consultation announced
- 6 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 9 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 10 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history