Dunmow swimmers train at London 2012 Olympic Games pool
- Credit: Archant
The London 2012 Olympic Games swimming venue played host to a group from Dunmow Atlantis on Saturday.
The young hopefuls had the opportunity to hone their skills in the same pool as their 2012 heroes.
Twenty five youngsters travelled from Dunmow to the London Aquatic Centre to train.
The experience proved to be invaluable, particularly as the sprint events of the Essex County Championships 2016 will be held at the Stratford venue.
The club’s head coach Steve Turner and newly appointed assistant coach, Darren Tucker, put the squad through their paces in the water for a tough, but highly beneficial, two-hour session.
You may also want to watch:
The feedback from swimmers and parents alike was overwhelmingly in favour, and the club are already organising further training dates at the venue.
To finish the morning, an award for star trainer of the day was presented to 11-year-old Damon Elliot.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 New cycle network consultation announced
- 4 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 5 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 6 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 7 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 10 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
The club, based at Dunmow Leisure Centre, is currently looking for sponsorship to help give all of its members the opportunity to achieve their true potential in the sport.
Although as much as possible is raised through a variety of fundraising activities, help is needed to pay for vital equipment and the upcoming swim camp.
Visit www.dunmowatlantis.co.uk for further information on how you can help and for details about the club.